Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default RD for fiancee, need suggestions

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum and new to RD owndership, having recently purchased a V1. ( read about that here ) I'd like to purchase an RD for my fiancee, as she has a bit of a lead foot, but I think that the V1 is a bit much (both in price and in "Complexity") for her. She's not keen on much active involvement, and I'd like to give her something decently reliable with some simple pogramming. I have my eyes on a Red 8500 X50, as I like the idea of automute and the simple switch between highway and city, but I'd also consider the RX65, or any other model you might recommend. I think the STI is a bit pricey for this application, though I'd love to give it a try. I'm wondering what some of you have given your wives/fiancees (or husbands, because who's to say the RD fanatic in the family has to be the man!!). I've done a bit of research here (ok, alot....) and read numerous online reviews. At the end of the day I want something with minimal user involvement/interpretation, something not "annnoying" (having to mute a v1 herself she will find annoying) and reasonably priced (I'd like to keep it under $300, but could be convinced to go a hair over).

Input is welcome and appreciated.

-T

Radar Fanatic

X50 or RX65 would be excellent choices. For a little less money you can have the Bel Vector 995 International, which has an excellent reputation. RX65 is probably the top performer out of that pack according to the recent GOL test, but the others aren't far behind.

Were I to go with the 995, what would I be giving up? In terms of performance, all of them seem decent, with the RX65 and X50 being pretty close. Her primary use would be highway driving, she's not a real speeder in the city, but she does cruise at a good clip on the highway. I recall the Veil Guy test mentioning the BEL (in this case RX65) required a bit more user interpretation/interfacing) as compared to the X50. Would the 995 also be as such? I think primary concern here is ease of use, with performance a close second.

Thanks for the input!

-T

Speed Demon

You should give her exactly the same unit that you have for the following reasons:

1) If you don't, she may take it as an insult.

2) So you can explain exactly how it works and discuss any quirks when they pop up.

3) If you don't, YOU will probably end up with the lesser one

Just set it to big L so she doesn't get too many falses (and set up K muting to be quiet like the Bels' automute). It's only 100 bucks more, right?

Cheetah Rep

I would consider the RX-65 as an option.
    Reason being is that it has voice. if she's new to detectors it may be easier/quicker for her to interpret the sounds with the voice telling which band.
    then you can give her a brief rundown on the importance of each band used in your area.
    then maybe go for a drive, hopefully finding speed traps, and let her see/hear it in action. plus with automute she won't have to touch it during an alert.
    plus, once you set it up, she only would hit one button to change between city/highway.

either way good luck.

Newcomer

Default V1 for fiancee

[quote="o2bad455"]You should give her exactly the same unit that you have for the following reasons:

3) If you don't, YOU will probably end up with the lesser one

I agree. You should get her the V1 like you have. This way you can explain everything to her. Also, she may get a bit pi**ed that you think she needs a less involved RD that she can "understand". You may be spending some nights on the couch! Good luck :wink:

Founder of Stealthvation

My wife personally loves her X50 but the RX65 is easier to understand thanks to the voice band identification
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Radar Fanatic

I'm with Brick on the Vector 995. All you're giving up is Multi-Threat display, and accusweep Ka detection, which does give more range on Ka, but also gives many more falses.

Some great info here. First off, thanks!

As far as her feeling "slighted", that isn't so much an issue. Plus, I'd rather have two gizmos to play with rather than 1, so I think a second V1 is out.... (got to look out for my own fun interests here too, right?)

It looks to be between the X50, RX65, and 995..... is the 995 really not that much worse than the RX65?

The automute is a huge plus, as is the ability to easily switch between highway/city with just one button.

-T

Radar Fanatic

The only feature of the RX65 that's absent from the 995 that's worth a damn is the USA mode Ka scan, but that will produce more falses anyway, so if you're looking for something that requires little user involvement, the 995 would be just as good. Performance of the 995 vs. the RX65 running with default settings is nearly identical. The 995 will still interface with a Bel laser jammer if you ever get one, and it still supports Ku band. Plus, in the 995's favor, the display isn't tilted up as much as the RX65's, so it lends itself to high mounting a little better.

The 995 doesn't have the smartcord (with mute button on the plug) or hard travel case either, but personally, I don't care about the mute button, the lighter is inconveniently placed in most cars anyway, and I rarely use the case.