Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default New term when detecting what we would call falsing

Mike B. from Whistler posted this in another thread:

Oh and while we are on the subject of falsing, somewhere on the FAQ page there needs to be a section on using proper terminology.

Too many times I read about radar detector falsing complaints saying it alerts to too many door openers and alarm systems.

A radar detector that alerts to a door opener or X band security system, or an X band repeater tower is not falsing. It is doing its job!

Falsing should only be considered if the unit alarms to something other than X, K, and the Ka Bands it has been designed for.

Alerting to another radar detector is considered PRD (personal radar detector) falsing. Sometimes this type of falsing is the result of the receiving radar detector to effectively reduce the falsing from the other radar detectors leakage, sometimes it is the offending radar detectors leakage and choice of frequency plan that creates falsing for most or all other radar detectors it comes into proximity of.

Alerting to a K band door opener is not falsing.
    Alerting the wrong band to a door opener is not considered falsing. Usually there are multiple door openers at stores and grocery markets. They are slightly different in frequencies and it clutters the information the unit is trying to process.

I see his point that technically the term falsing is not the correct term because it is alerting to a band that it is capable of detecting.

I am guilty as hell for using this term when I guess it is not truley a correct term for this situation.
    Should we come up with a different word to use for this?

If I am out on the open highway and there is nothing around for miles but open road and corn fields and my radar detector is going off and I can see there is no LEO present that to me is a false alert, therefore that is why I call it a "false alert".

What should we call it when a radar detector detects an alert when we know for sure there is NO LEO present?
    For most of us that has always been considered a false alert since it alerted with no LEO present.
    I see Mike's view on this because the unit did what it was suppose to do and alert you when it detects a certain band.

Newcomer

Default Re: New term when detecting what we would call falsing

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman
    Mike B. from Whistler posted this in another thread:
    What should we call it when a radar detector detects an alert when we know for sure there is NO LEO present?
    For most of us that has always been considered a false alert since it alerted with no LEO present.
    I see Mike's view on this because the unit did what it was suppose to do and alert you when it detects a certain band.
    My first post here... :wink:

Collateral alert or collateralert?

Yoda of Radar

Admittingly those aforementioned detections are not a 'false' or 'false alerts' etc etc, it is truely just doing exactly what it is supposed to do... but honestly its splitting hairs when saying they aren't technically falses.

I think everyone here knows that they aren't 'falses' persay, the RD is just picking up a radar signal and alerting to it.

For all intent and purposes, however, the reason why nearly all people buy radar detectors is so that they can be alerted to LEO radar use... so it would be in that context a 'false alert' (because you want to know if a RD is alerting to and LEO radar source, not an automatic door)... again you could just say its doing what its supposed to though.

Honestly it doesnt matter what term you use wether it be:

"Unwanted alert to a non-LEO radar source"
    "Unimportant signal alert"
    "Non-LEO radar source detection"

blah blah blah Lets just cut it short and use the universal name for it... False alerts. (Everyone here knows that its just doing its job... picking up radar signals, but for our intent its picking up ones we could care less about, since most of us didn't buy the RD to alert to auto-doors.)

Anyways whatever we decide to call it, I am still going to use the term 'False alert'.

Lead Foot

Personally, I think it would be alot more funny if we just called them boners.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=boner

A boner is, after all, a blunder or mistake.

Yoda of Radar

/\\ /\\ /\\ /\\ /\\ Kids these days :roll:

Lead Foot

Hey hey, who you callin a kid? 8)

Power User

I think everyone has a handle on the term "falsing". I respect the opinions of properly useing terminology but I dont think we are going to get anywhere. For the example of out in the desert and the RD goes of for apparently no reasone, well technically speaking it did not false either, something made the unit trigger. The unit only listens in those particular frequencies, and unless you have all the fancy diagnostic tools you will not know if it has perhaps fallen out of tune. The big concern is variation of sensitivity, why one is a few hundred feet off its twin is a issue. But back to the "false" thing. We do immediately recognize the noobs that are up in arms wanting a cop detector, RD are not, a RD is just an electronic device listening to a set frequency and is set to alert if found such frequency. The RD is dumb as far as knowing what is its source up to the point of it trying to determine if harmonics are found that indicate another detector. So we use "false"

RD definition of the term "false" is to describe an encounter that is found NOT to be a valid threat from a LEO. Not nessecarily that the unit is malfunctioning.

Yoda of Radar

I would think the term "false" comes from false positives.

And really, that is what is happening. The detectors are alerting to objects that are not what they are intended to detect.

Perhaps we should get another term for "avoidable falsing" eg it alerting to itself.

Experienced

Mike B. is exactly right. There is a fine line between selectivity and sensitivity. You can always give up one at the expense of the other. Before POP, most modern radar detectors only alerted to precise band frequencies which has led to loose use of the term "falsing". It is possible to detect radar sources quicker by ignoring harmonics, that is exactly what the V1 is doing today with the "J" alert. Sweep quickly, alert immediately and then determine if there is a harmonic and if so, cancel the alert (J it out). With POP now, real radar detector falsing is an issue. I'm using false meaning a microwave source not used in ground based speed detection. To me, there is a world of difference in an unwanted detection of a real LEO radar source (X and K band radar door openers are one instance) and non LEO radar sources (towers transmitting microwave communication or any other stray microwave source that is a harmonic of LEO radar). I'm guessing those with POP turned off are doing so because of the increased real falsing. Even if POP isn't used in their area, I suspect they would have and leave it on if it didn't false.

Professional

Boomerman wrote:
    You could call it an NTS alert. (Non-Threatening Source)