Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Steathy mounting options.

I recently ordered a Driver STi for use in Ontario. I have an '05 Caravan (company vehicle, loser cruiser) which has a curved dash. No flat places at all. I was debating on getting a bean bag and placing it next to the A-pillar to the left of the instrument panel to put the detector on that, or getting a visor CD holder that has a pocket in it and put it on the visor. I can't decide which is best. I will be hardwiring it in, with the wire hidden. I looked at other Caravans on the road to see what the cops might see. Any suggestions or creative mounting ideas?

- StatsCan

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Steathy mounting options.

Quote Originally Posted by StatsCan
    I recently ordered a Driver STi for use in Ontario. I have an '05 Caravan (company vehicle, loser cruiser) which has a curved dash. No flat places at all. I was debating on getting a bean bag and placing it next to the A-pillar to the left of the instrument panel to put the detector on that, or getting a visor CD holder that has a pocket in it and put it on the visor. I can't decide which is best. I will be hardwiring it in, with the wire hidden. I looked at other Caravans on the road to see what the cops might see. Any suggestions or creative mounting ideas?

- StatsCan
    The loser cruiser

With a hardwire setup, I'd like to run the cord up the A-pillar and mount it somewhere difficult to see high on the windshield. You can even get a visor clip for the STI but it's best to cover it with something (mind you leave the laser ports and display open...). How curved is the windshield, could you stick the suction cups on the LH side of the windshield right against the A-pillar or will it just point perpendicular to the road?

It's too curved for that. That's why I was thinking of the beanbag. I guess the CD holder visor thingy might be the best bet.

I was thinking of this CD holder:

http://www.fotoconnection.com/vi-108...ml#spec_detail

It's hard to say if that pocket where the sunglasses are will be big enough for the detector though.

- StatsCan

Newcomer

hey man, i'm in the same boat as you. i live in ontario and just ordered the STI myself, and was also wondering where to mount it. I don't drive a caravan though, i'm in a P.T. Cruiser. I think i'm going to mount high and tint around it. I'm nervous about getting caught with it myself. The CD idea might work too, i never thought of that. I have one too. We'll have wait and how big the STI is and if it will fit. good luck.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by StatsCan
    It's hard to say if that pocket where the sunglasses are will be big enough for the detector though.

- StatsCan
    You shouldn't need to stuff it in a pocket. Just get the kind of cd holder that has velcro straps that tie around the visor. Then sandwich the RD between the visor and holder.

Advanced Member

What about between the visor and the ceiling. I hacked ino the power running to the vanity lites in the mirror undid the visor clip to run the power cord thru the ceiling panel. With a tint strip its invisible from the outside.

Good Citizen

Heres my story. I have my STI hardwired high behind the tint strip. I was by myself driving on I-66 in Virgina last week in the HOV lane(2 or more in car) . I pass a LEO looking for single drivers, he saw me pass and turn his lights on to give chase. As soon as that happened, I put the sunvisor down to hide my STi from view. I also turned off my engine to keep the STi from falsing from other RD. :wink: The LEO never even saw my STi. He gave me a $50 ticket for driving in HOV lane and I drove off with my STi into the unset. So the leason here is, mount high, mount behind the tint strip and if you see the LEO in pursuit, drop the visor...its works.

Professional

what i have notice when i mount my x50 real high above the rear view mirror below the tint i get alot less rear radar range but when i mount right below the rear view mirror my rear range goes way up i mean alot very noticeable
    in rear range I think rear range on any rd is very helpful . front range dont really change when mountted low not much just little maybe.I think the only radar detector that works best for HIGH roof top mounting IS THE V1 THAT IS IT :wink:

Good Citizen

I just ordered my STi as well. I plan on putting it right above the rear view mirror in my Honda Civic. I have never hard wired an RD before, is this something I can do myself or do I need to take it somewhere? I don't really want to be cutting wires and doing a botch job on it.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daz
    I just ordered my STi as well. I plan on putting it right above the rear view mirror in my Honda Civic. I have never hard wired an RD before, is this something I can do myself or do I need to take it somewhere? I don't really want to be cutting wires and doing a botch job on it.
    Yes its very easy all the wires on your interior are 12v. Green is always negative(right?). You can buy a cheap shop manual for your car that shows a wiring diagram. There's probably umpteen threads on doing it.