Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default Mounting and laser detection--mount on an angle = better scatter alerts?

Theoretically, would mounting a detector (that is higher mounted) with the front horn side facing slightly down increase laser scatter detection probability by giving it a lesser angle to catch a scatter off the hood? I've read a few very reputable people who have considered this as a real possibility, what do you guys think?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Mounting and laser detection--mount on an angle = better scatter alerts?

Allot of metallic like silver should help. Flat black, not so much. If you've seen the laser receiver on the V1 it doesn't look like it is bias below mounting point.

Experienced

Default Re: Mounting and laser detection--mount on an angle = better scatter alerts?

Kinda pointless trying to rely on scatter alerts. Especially when all you need to do is properly install an LJ and you're good. For how often most people encounter laser its even more rare that you would get a scatter alert. Not really something that can be tested either.

Experienced

It definitely seems like it might help detection.

I would think that angling it towards the road would not only help with LIDAR, but with radar as well. It would be easier to catch it bouncing off the road.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by comno6 View Post
    It definitely seems like it might help detection.

I would think that angling it towards the road would not only help with LIDAR, but with radar as well. It would be easier to catch it bouncing off the road.
    The problem then becomes "is my rd alerting to distant around the curve, over the hill shots?"

Experienced

Also then what happens to rear laser protection? If this actually helps for front I'd guess it'd decrease in rear.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by The Stigs Cousin View Post
    Also then what happens to rear laser protection? If this actually helps for front I'd guess it'd decrease in rear.
    I'd assume this as well. It would have to run of the idea that front laser is more likely to be encountered and therefore more effort should be made to increase the probability of front detection.

Advanced Member

I took a laser pointer late dark night and used it to see where reflections would happen. With large head lights and the hood edge right at the light cluster, reflections to my supprise wound up across the top edge of the cab by which was perfect since the V1 is mounted above the RVM. The distance from the front of the auto to the V1 should be far enough that the angle should be no problem in the horn, mount level or a couple degrees angled up, not down.....

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by North Alabama View Post
    I took a laser pointer late dark night and used it to see where reflections would happen. With large head lights and the hood edge right at the light cluster, reflections to my supprise wound up across the top edge of the cab by which was perfect since the V1 is mounted above the RVM. The distance from the front of the auto to the V1 should be far enough that the angle should be no problem in the horn, mount level or a couple degrees angled up, not down.....
    Haha... so your V1 should alert as you are getting targeted by laser on the front of your car.

Advanced Member

If you do not have a front tag like me, the head light cluster is where the Leo will mostly aim. With the hood lip that is curved downward, test your auto to see where the reflections show up because it just might be that the curve in the hood might spray the reflection across the roof line like my Ford Ranger.....