Default Has anyone had your detector alert when...

You pass the lighted highway signs that give DOT info? Today on highway 78 going to Memphis in which there were no MHP around and nothing else to give out a K alert I passed 2 of them on the highway setting and it acted as if an MHP state trooper was on top of me but stopped right after I passed the sign. Anyone else experience this?

Advanced Member

Default Re: Has anyone had your detector alert when...

They are a pain in the a$$. I just turn down the volume. The thing about the future I-20 is that the cables in the median keeps the MHP from flipping around any where they want to and makes speeding easy, just remember the turn around points because they use those cross over strips....

Newcomer

They use them alot in PA. I haven't run into one lately but they use to be all over and they left the radar on even when the sign wasn't. Just a big pain. At least in my experience they never had speed traps set up close by. Would have been a perfect bushwack

Radar Fanatic

yes it has happened.

Experienced

Happened to me a few days ago driving to work where new road construction is going on. V1 pointed to the sign so I didn't have to wonder, but thought it was pretty odd.

I know the SWS system runs on K-band and is sometimes attached to those construction trailers. It could be that tripping off your radar?

Lead Foot

I've gotten both K and Ka alerts from construction signs in Oklahoma. Usually, it was K at one end and Ka at the other.

Professional
    west coast of the ___American Corporatocracy___ X-band is alive-deadly-expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Hottytoddy45 View Post
    You pass the lighted highway signs that give DOT info? Today on highway 78 going to Memphis in which there were no MHP around and nothing else to give out a K alert I passed 2 of them on the highway setting and it acted as if an MHP state trooper was on top of me but stopped right after I passed the sign. Anyone else experience this?
    Quite often. Those signs can show speed, or be programmed to display what-ever they want.
    I passed one on yesterday, V-1 at full tilt, warning me that this stretch of road will be closet next Sunday

Power User

Most of those are not SWS, they just stuck a police radar antenna under the sign. It's a drone intended to slow down traffic.

Advanced Member

These signs were 2 west bound and 1 I think east band (total of 3 if I can remember correct) telling traffic to merge left into one lane for road work. No speed dislay , I think it is just K band SWS. The V1 detecting them out to about 2 miles away. They are inbetween the Holly Springs/ Memphis strip.....