Newcomer

Default Help...change is in the air.

I have been running a Valentine 1, latest revision (3.872?), and it has done pretty well.
    The main reason I went with the V1 is because I had it hardwired into my Z06 and it throws all my warnings up on the HUD. Very neat.

Well, I am planning on moving, I am tired of the mid 90's interior in my '11 'vette, and I am looking to consolidate my cashflow toward some property and a house.

The Z06 is going to be traded for a loaded out 370Z (yes yes, 332bhp < 505bhp, but until you have driven both cars, it's an internet-race.) The 370Z is VERY nimble and being able to hit 120 in 3rd gear and have it happen just a few seconds after you get into 2nd gear is kind-of boring on the street. Long story short, I want more creature comforts, equal handling, and will trade some acceleration for some money in the wallet.

Anyway, now that you have the background...

...Is the V1 the best thing out there? I want:

-Long-range detection.
    -Protection against instant-on "blips".
    -Love the directional warnings, anything else have that?
    -A solid mounting system is a MUST HAVE! and I don't do visor clips. The suction cups of the V1 are the bomb. It has stayed put on my tint-strip for months.
    -I want to know the frequency of the radar
    -I want to be able to disable X-band and other junk that isn't used by cops in my area but is spamming the air.

On another note, I plan on going with a gun-metal gray on the 370Z. My Z06 was arctic white. Will the color change provide any additional protection for laser, or is that just wishful thinking?
    Last edited by AWZ06; 10-27-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Advanced Member

Default Re: Help...change is in the air.

I deal with the same issues and want the same things as youself. I/O is the problem for me and until something else comes along, my actions will be hang around in traffic if possible (don't be the rabbit), turn off the Ka Guard on the V1 (fast alarm), use the two piority volume alert setting (so you do not spike the brakes all of the time), and keep the eyes open for a possible nasty up close hit which is almost always deadly. That is the best thing that I have learned over the years to defend against I/O. A laser jammer is needed to defend against Lidar. Might try a Redline with the V1.....To add, the 3M heavy duty Scotch Fasterners All-weather (for heat) at Walley World works wonders if done right..
    Last edited by North Alabama; 10-27-2011 at 01:59 AM.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by North Alabama View Post
    I deal with the same issues and want the same things as youself. I/O is the problem for me and until something else comes along, my actions will be hang around in traffic if possible (don't be the rabbit), turn off the Ka Guard on the V1 (fast alarm), use the two piority volume alert setting (so you do not spike the brakes all of the time), and keep the eyes open for a possible nasty up close hit which is almost always deadly. That is the best thing that I have learned over the years to defend against I/O. A laser jammer is needed to defend against Lidar. Might try a Redline with the V1.....To add, the 3M heavy duty Scotch Fasterners All-weather (for heat) at Walley World works wonders if done right..
    Thanks!

Is the 3.892 update worth it? Will I gain anything tangible over my 3.872?

Advanced Member

Go to the Website and put in your serial number. Some members report that the new units are better. But bewarned, new V1s are hot off of the press and seems like they dumb down a very tiny bit (feedback stablizing) with some usage. As for the updated units, the website says no but members have reported both ways, slight increase in Ka and no increase in Ka. Maybe in time more numbers will show a better average...

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by North Alabama View Post
    Go to the Website and put in your serial number. Some members report that the new units are better. But bewarned, new V1s are hot off of the press and seems like they dumb down a very tiny bit (feedback stablizing) with some usage. As for the updated units, the website says no but members have reported both ways, slight increase in Ka and no increase in Ka. Maybe in time more numbers will show a better average...
    I thought the 3.891 version tested had killer range and beat the Redline and stuff? I'm all confused

Is the unit any better sealed/less leakage?

Advanced Member

That was one unit test by a member. Reports that K band on updates were better with varied Ka reports. Time will tell when more reports show up which members are getting their units updated now. Remember, a new unit is different that an updated unit which a board is replaced...