Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Chance of K 24.138GHz being a false?

I have an RX-45 with TSR on, and I got a 24.138 false in a commercial shopping area where I always get K-band falses, never looked at the frequency before. I'd gotten 2 falses earlier that day on K but hadn't looked at freq.

Here's where it gets weird.

10 mins later I'm SB on 17 and I get a very short blast of 24.138 and swear at it for falsing so much, and 1000 ft later I pass a CHP cruiser in radar position on the side of the road. No radar.

24.138 matches up to a Decatur Genesis II, but in 4 months of having an RD I'd never gotten a real-K alert. It's been all Ka and Laser (Santa Clara County).

I never got another K alert after the first one. Does anyone know if CHP is using I/O K on 17 in SCC?

Default Re: Chance of K 24.138GHz being a false?

K band guns don't have to adhere to a specific frequency in the K band range but cop cars usually run VERY close to 24.150 but i've seen fluctuations +/- quite a bit

KA has to adhere more closely to specific frequencies like 33.8, 34.7 and 35.5

K band falses are VERY common now in the Bay Area especially around silicon valley where the cars are nicer, I live near you and Audi/Mercedes with radar cruise control/lane departure will show up anywhere in the K band 24.1xx range.

CHP always used 34.7 stalker radars, but they either turn them off when they pull over or they run constant on. Haven't seen instant on in use here yet, but I have in southern california.

Laser...only seen CHP motorcycles use it.
    Last edited by TwoLitersOfFury; 10-28-2011 at 12:34 AM.

Power User

I've seen some K-band units used by the Santa Clara Sheriff Dept, but it's a very rare occurrence. By far what you see out here is 34.7 Ka and laser. I've seen CHP set up some pretty good laser traps, so if you actually intend on speeding a good deal into ticketable speeds, a laser countermeasure system is important.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by TwoLitersOfFury View Post
    K band guns don't have to adhere to a specific frequency in the K band range but cop cars usually run VERY close to 24.150 but i've seen fluctuations +/- quite a bit

KA has to adhere more closely to specific frequencies like 33.8, 34.7 and 35.5

K band falses are VERY common now in the Bay Area especially around silicon valley where the cars are nicer, I live near you and Audi/Mercedes with radar cruise control/lane departure will show up anywhere in the K band 24.1xx range.

CHP always used 34.7 stalker radars, but they either turn them off when they pull over or they run constant on. Haven't seen instant on in use here yet, but I have in southern california.

Laser...only seen CHP motorcycles use it.
    I was about to turn off K-band because I've NEVER seen a K band unit here in SCC. Which is why I'm asking if they actually have K-bands rolling around here.

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    I've seen some K-band units used by the Santa Clara Sheriff Dept, but it's a very rare occurrence. By far what you see out here is 34.7 Ka and laser. I've seen CHP set up some pretty good laser traps, so if you actually intend on speeding a good deal into ticketable speeds, a laser countermeasure system is important.
    Aware of that, I'm not going past 80 generally and the laser bikes are REALLY easy to spot.

Advanced Member

I believe Dacatur Genesis I and II are 24.15 for K band. Maybe that CHP officer was using a Kustom Falcon HR and being very selective. The Falcon HR is 24.12 ghz. A narrow beam and low power. They might have been evaluating a Falcon HR for concideration for purchase, it's done all the time.
    Outside Independence Hall when the Constitutional Convention of 1787 ended, Mrs. Powel of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin, "Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?" With no hesitation whatsoever, Franklin responded, "A republic, if you can keep it."

-V1 3.872 (1.3 Mi. C/O Ka pointed away from me. 3.6 Mi. C/O K)-Bel RX65 New Backup (4.1 Mi. C/O Ka 35.494 Ghz, light traffic) -Laser Interceptor Gen-8 Dual (No saves yet ) -Bel 980. -Galaxy DX 959 with a peak and tune.
    -Wilson Lil' Wil antennae. -Whistler 1585. -Whistler 1430. -Passort 3200 w/ 1000 laser detector (got stolen, bought one off ebay for nostalga).
    -Cobra Trapshooter RD-31XX? (Can't remember silver/teardrop shape X, K only). -Cobra Trapshooter RD-3110 (my first RD in 1987, when Cobras were good, bought one off ebay for nostalga new in the box). -Kustom HAWK. -Kustom Falcon cordless K Band. -Kustom Talon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I believe Dacatur Genesis I and II are 24.15 for K band. Maybe that CHP officer was using a Kustom Falcon HR and being very selective. The Falcon HR is 24.12 ghz. A narrow beam and low power. They might have been evaluating a Falcon HR for concideration for purchase, it's done all the time.
    CHP has a solid contract with Stalker Radar for their patrol cars, highly doubt they would be using a hand held radar now a days.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    kitsapgov.com/sheriff/patrol/radar.htm

Newcomer

On 17 the only radar I have ever picked up is ka 34.7. Were you up at the summit? I believe the speed sign is k band. I will check next time I head over the hill. You probably picked up a false from a cobra or one of the high end cars that head over the hill.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by V70r View Post
    On 17 the only radar I have ever picked up is ka 34.7. Were you up at the summit? I believe the speed sign is k band. I will check next time I head over the hill. You probably picked up a false from a cobra or one of the high end cars that head over the hill.
    Negative, I was entering Los Gatos going Southbound. Probably a Cobra.

Just one in a million timing.

Newcomer

My RX65 does that too...full blast then slowly dies down. I'm not sure whether or not it's a newer car with radar cruise control or if it has one of those radar thingies that tells the driver when they're about to back up into something that's setting it off. I'm about to send it in for a check up near the end of the month because it's only done it lately. I'm going to start paying attention to the cars around me when it happens.