Hi all. I am in the market for a radar detector. After lurking around here a while, it seems the detectors of choice are the V1 and the Escort Redline. If I hadn't found this forum, I would probably be leaning towards the Beltronics Vector V940, which is half the price and has stellar reviews on Amazon.
So let's pretend the options are:
Beltronics Vector V940
Some info on my situation:
- Live in Rhode island. My commute is part highway, party hillyish roads to get to the highway.
- I am not well informed on what radar techniques RI cops use. The only speeding ticket I've gotten in RI was a radar gun from a local cop in a small town... I was not even trying to speed... just got caught with my pants down by a quick 50->25 limit coming into a town center
- Particularly, if anybody knows if RI cops use Instant/On radar guns, I'd love to know. That seems to be the biggest factor in the Redline/V1 debate for me. I also travel to Massachusetts quite a bit so maybe there's more knowledge on the 95/128/93 corridors (never had cop problems on 95 between MA and RI)
- My main motivation for a radar detector is my new commute. This highway I'm taking (403) is a pretty new road built for traffic going to a business park, beautifully built and smooth. It is never buys, and it just BEGS you to go 80+, and I have found myself in agony trying to pace myself under 65. The real issue is the speed limit is 55 for half of it... and 45 for the other. You could basically call the damn thing a toll road with random selection on the payment dates.
- I don't think I am a rabid speeder, I just try to drive expediently when the situation allows it. I am usually pretty careful on local roads until I know them well, and I try to stay under 80 on the highway unless someone else is pacing me higher. I would just be happy KNOWING where the cops are hiding, I'm not trying to set any land speed records.
- I don't know if this is possible, but I would really like a discreet system. I am not interested in answering questions from coworkers and blue-clad strangers as to why I'm rocking a law-evading device. Do some devices blend in better, or hide under the rearview mirro better?
- Are some devices faster to put up/take down than others? Like is it reasonable to reconnect the device every day before and after work?
- I think in my car I can get power off the under-steering wheel fuse box and should have no problem hard wiring up the pillar to the top of the windshield.
Thanks a bunch, I hope this wasn't too much to read, and look forward to a new system!