Few months ago, I've started a project that I would like to share with you. I'm working on wireless network between V1, Laser Interceptor, and maybe Bel STi.
The main electronic card with the human interface, is an Arduino Seeeduino Mega with a LCD screen. The remote cards are several Arduino Uno (Fio are too slow), each radar detector is connected to one Arduino Uno. The wireless connection is done with XBee chips.
The project is quite cheap. The central device 'Mega' is about 70 EUR (card, XBee chip, LCD included) and the remote devices 'Uno' are about 45 EUR each. The wiring is easy, and I will draw a PCB later.
I have already made some tests in my car with successful results: good and reliable wireless connection. I'm programming myself the cards in C language. You will find below the code.
Please, fell free to add your comments, helps and ides of improvement.
Thank you. Best regards.
The main specifications (updated 26th Feb 2012)
-= CENTRAL DEVICE =-
1) Already done:
- Arduino Seeeduino Mega + XBee + LCD (probably soon, it will be compulsory: Arduino Mega 2560
- about 3 to 4 buttons for navigation and settings
- from 1 to 10 remote devices with their name and their position on the car for each
- to send the number of remote devices in the network to adapt the speed performance of the network
- protocol of communication for the wireless network with XBee API protocol, message sending, network regulation
- indicators of communications with each remote device: continuous display of the state of the 10 connections, special screen with the number of interrupts and the percentage of packets well received from each remote device
- buzzer tone
- V1: to read the information from the V1, specific screen for this information
- Laser Interceptor: to read the warnings from the LI, screen with information
- specific screens: 3 last information from each remote devices, 3 last information of the network, real time and average performance of the packets sent successfully, level of the transmission power
- screen with all the active alerts
- to switch off all the devices with an 'alarm button' (on going)
2) TO DO:
- to find a good box for the card, car lighter powered
- to continue the optimisation of the latency time (already very good results)
-= REMOTE DEVICES =-
1) Already done:
- Arduino Uno + XBee
- wireless communication with the central device
- to use an interrupts input in case of radar detection
- to establish the communication with V1 and LI
2) TO DO:
- to find rapid and waterproof power plugs
- to be able to reprogram the Arduino by wireless (on going)
- to draw a PCB (on going)
- to do program a flip plate function
- to send a signal to switch off the breaking lights of the car + to build the Uno in charge of that
* Common functions:
- to switch off all the devices (V1, LI)
* Valentine One functions:
- all information are transmitted (still to program the number of bogey)
* Laser Interceptor functions:
- to activate the parking function only
Syrinx remote PCB_schem.jpg