Default Road trip! Need some advice before I go though.

Hey guys. I have a high end detector that does wonders for me. I have a few questions, I'm taking a trip to Chicago which consist of 250 miles on I-94. My question is, how should I setup my radar detector, I know i'm going to use highway mode, but what frequency alerts should I keep on and which should I keep off. I'm going in a couple of days so I need best protection. I do about 78 on cruise in 70 mph zone (yea, michigan has awesome speed limits, unlike other lame states, eg. ohio and illinois). So I don't speed that much, just with the flow of traffic, but I still want to be alerted of a cop. The Michigan state police is one tough cookie with their new badass HEMI chargers (best production police vehicle EVER MADE IMO).

So, in conclusion:

What frequencies should I keep on? (X, Pop, spectre, k, Ka, etc)

Default Re: Road trip! Need some advice before I go though.

51 views and no one has suggestions? I can't believe this is a forum, no one is active. -_-

Radar Fanatic

What model radar detector will you be using?

Lead Foot

Highway mode

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by torred 3.5 View Post
    Hey guys. I have a high end detector that does wonders for me. I have a few questions, I'm taking a trip to Chicago which consist of 250 miles on I-94. My question is, how should I setup my radar detector, I know i'm going to use highway mode, but what frequency alerts should I keep on and which should I keep off. I'm going in a couple of days so I need best protection. I do about 78 on cruise in 70 mph zone (yea, michigan has awesome speed limits, unlike other lame states, eg. ohio and illinois). So I don't speed that much, just with the flow of traffic, but I still want to be alerted of a cop. The Michigan state police is one tough cookie with their new badass HEMI chargers (best production police vehicle EVER MADE IMO).

So, in conclusion:

K, Ka, And Laser are the most important threats on the highway. Don't bother with SPECTRE, X (Unless you are going through NJ), or POP. On the highway, Ka and Laser alarms should be taken very seriously.

While you are on the road, keep a bunch of rabbits in front of you. This will help protect you against I/O and Q/T. Not exactly 100% protection, but at least the gun operator has plenty to shoot at before he comes up to you. I used to use this technique even when I was on the road and didn't have a RD. Keep your distance in case one DOES have an RD and slams on the brakes.

By the way, while I am a Dodge guy, probably the best police vehicle ever made (and ever will be) are P71 Crown Vics. Long service life, durable engine, rugged, and reliable. 250 horsepower. It's a real shame Ford are getting rid of them for 6cyl. FWD, turbocharged sedans.

And if I were to tell you my favorite Dodge Police car, a 60's-70's Dodge Coronet. 440 plant.
    Last edited by TerragonSix; 04-04-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TerragonSix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torred 3.5 View Post

So, in conclusion:

K, Ka, And Laser are the most important threats on the highway. Don't bother with SPECTRE, X (Unless you are going through NJ), or POP. On the highway, Ka and Laser alarms should be taken very seriously.

While you are on the road, keep a bunch of rabbits in front of you. This will help protect you against I/O and Q/T. Not exactly 100% protection, but at least the gun operator has plenty to shoot at before he comes up to you. I used to use this technique even when I was on the road and didn't have a RD. Keep your distance in case one DOES have an RD and slams on the brakes.

By the way, while I am a Dodge guy, probably the best police vehicle ever made (and ever will be) are P71 Crown Vics. Long service life, durable engine, rugged, and reliable. 250 horsepower. It's a real shame Ford are getting rid of them for 6cyl. FWD, turbocharged sedans.

And if I were to tell you my favorite Dodge Police car, a 60's-70's Dodge Coronet. 440 plant.
    Thanks for the advice. I usually go with traffic so I hear you on the rabbits. While crown vics are durable, there's no denying that 370 hp hemi in a Charger will scare the crap out of you if you see it in your rearview mirror.