Yes, I know...another "vs" thread...but, after reading literally 100's of posts on this forum, searching this forum repeatedly, and reading tons of reviews on-line;I'm still having a hard time deciding on which of the two radar detectors in my thread title is best for MY situation. I know that some detectors are suited to some situations better than others, so here is what I'm working with:
- I currently use an Escort Passport 8500 x50 (Revision 5)....have been using it for 5 years
- I constantly drive in and out of WV, VA (illegal), and MD
- A lot of hills and turns...so "over the hill" and "around a turn" alerts are important
- I will be using this RD every single day
- LEO's around here do not use X band and I have not seen use of Laser
- County LEOs use K band
- State/City LEOs use Ka band (many times they use instant on...especially the troopers)
- Current ride is a 2012 Hyundai Sonata, so the RD will be sitting lower than if I were in a truck or larger SUV
- I will be buying this Radar Detector brand new...either direct from V1 or from Radar Busters site.
As I stated above, I've been using an Escort Passport 8500 x50 for 5 years now...in and out of Virginia every day...and I haven't been pulled over by a LEO running Spectre yet (knock on wood). This fact makes me skeptical as to whether I really NEED the STI Magnum's invisibility. What I think I'm really after in a new RD is superior detection for "off axis encounters"...I guess you would call it. The invisibility would be a very nice plus tho for possibly driving deeper into NOVA (loudon county, etc.)
Questions you might have for me:
Q1.) Why are you upgrading for the 8500 x50?
A2.) It seems that the LEO's in my area are getting very good with Instant On KA guns. The 8500 x50 seems to have a lot of trouble picking these up unless I'm right on top of them and it's already too late (even with traffic in front of me). It's also getting a bit older and the two detectors in my topic title both seem to have superior detection ability over the x50.
Q2.) Why not the Escort Redline?
A2.) It's a bit out of my price range at $100 more. I've read about the poor ramping which is a feature I like. I've also read about the update that is "supposedly" coming...I don't know about waiting on this, if its really coming, cost, etc.
Q3.) Why not buy both and use the 30 day return policy to return the one you don't like?
A3.) I don't have $800+ to tie up for a month in radar detectors...which is why I think the forum is such a useful resource. I've also read that using both at the same time can cause some sensivity issues (not quite confirmed, I know)
In my readings/research, here are the pros/cons I have found for each:
- Excellent off-axis detection (same as the Redline? better than the V1????)
- Invisible to Spectre/RDD's
- Excellent ramp up
- Will possibly get the same update as the Redline???? who knows???
- Good customer service
- No rear anttenae...poor performance from behind
- No directional arrows
- Missing some I/O alerts that a V1 might catch
- Mixed reviews on multiple sites...can't figure out if it's more or less sensitive for KA/K or on off-axis tests
- Directional arrows are a big plus
- Great sensitivity in a straight line
- Possibly good off-axis capability?
- Has always been a top detector for...10+ years??
- Not invisible
- Customer service is questionable from what I've read
- Questionable off-axis sensitivity when compared to STI Magnum???
Feel free to correct any of the above information for the PROS/CONS. I'm hoping that there are a few members who's situation closely resembles mine and can chime in for which RD they chose.
Thanks for any and all input.