Good Citizen

Default Tell me, what makes VA so special?

Okay, I understand why military bases would frown upon radar detectors. I could go out on a limb, and I might understand why Washington DC doesn't want you to have one.

But Virginia?

What logical purpose, does making RD's illegal in Virginia serve? It's not like they have access to good equipment, and there are enough Rabbits on the road to write plenty of tickets for. Since they are outlawed, the citizens are aware of the law, and not only can you not have a Radar Detector, you can't buy one in Virginia either. The penalty for having a Radar Detector in your car is a $100 ticket, and your Radar Detector isn't confiscated. As far as I know, you do not receive any points on your license.

Given those set of facts, I can only conclude that this is not a law designed to eliminate Radar Detection devices, but rather, a law aimed at generating revenue against citizens outside the state. Because those will be the majority of people who use RD's in Virginia.

Make it illegal to buy, distribute RD's in Virginia (where its citizens are), and give a $100 fine to anyone who has them (who will be outsiders of the state, passing through.

I'm surprised there hasn't been an attempt from a group of concerned citizens to get rid of this law.

Lead Foot

Default Re: Tell me, what makes VA so special?

The main reason VA, doesn't want you to have one is because they believe the devices contribute to excessive speed. “Speed on the roads of the commonwealth is a major problem,” said Del. Manoli Loupassi, R-Richmond. “I don’t think we ought to be passing laws that make our roads less safe.”

The state’s 48-year-old ban on the devices was defeated in 2010 by the House of Delegates, 61-38.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by nosbusa View Post
    The main reason VA, doesn't want you to have one is because they believe the devices contribute to excessive speed. “Speed on the roads of the commonwealth is a major problem,” said Del. Manoli Loupassi, R-Richmond. “I don’t think we ought to be passing laws that make our roads less safe.”

The state’s 48-year-old ban on the devices was defeated in 2010 by the House of Delegates, 61-38.
    I'm sure, just as a gun contributes to excessive violence. *rollleyes*

At least, it wasn't a slam dunk vote. 60-40.

Experienced

I once lived in VA, and hoped the devices would NOT become legal. Their anti-RD skills then were a joke. Their anit-RD skills still suck and for that reason, I hope they don't change the law. I would be more specific about their short-comings, but decided against it as it may help them. I like them clueless. I guess I shouldn't be condescending, after all they have only been illegal in that state for 48 years, and obviously have not had time to "hone" their anti-RD skills.

Radar Fanatic

Probably why only PA State Troopers can use radar...stationary, not moving. No laser either. Must be something that blows in from the Atlantic.

Good Citizen

Have they heard of the Federal Communications Act of 1934? The citizens have to right to listen to any radio frequency, provided it does not have privileged information? RADAR does not have privliged info, and it is a radio frequency. It's a BS law that wouldn't stand up to the supreme court.

You could show the traffic statistics, show the Federal Law, and provide data on how Virginia is LOSING more money banning radars, than allowing Radar Detectors legalized and make a profit off of them via taxes. It would make the state government of Virginia look asinine.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by NormSky View Post
    Probably why only PA State Troopers can use radar...stationary, not moving. No laser either. Must be something that blows in from the Atlantic.
    "Tradition". lol