Newcomer

Default Alberta radar / moving lidar

Does anyone know if the sheriffs in Alberta, Canada, use laser in their cars? Is laser something that is used on a moving patrol car? What guns are mainly used here? Do airplanes patroling the highways use laser technology?

Default Re: Alberta radar / moving lidar

Since I don’t live in your neck-o-woods I’m not sure what the sheriffs use there.

To answer a couple of your other questions:

Lidar: or laser is a “hand held” stationary gun only, there is no moving laser guns at this time. Laser can be used in or outside the vehicle. It can be also shot through the windshield glass of the patrol car. Most RD’s (radar detectors) will not pick up laser shots and even if it does it is problematic. The speed acquisition time is a third of a second at over a half a mile and in some cases a mile, your toast, anything closer and your just plain burned.

Airplanes: cannot use radar or laser from the air. They can and do use VASCAR (stop watch + calculator) which will not alert a radar detector. That device is used heavily in my state and defeats all RD’s completely. The only method to counter this is a CB radio with a good ability to “work the big road” and find out what’s ahead of you. Also, a scanner if the LEO’s are still using an analog radio system. Be aware many areas outlaw the use of scanners in vehicles… just like they outlaw going above the PSL.

As an aside, most radar guns have a VASCAR mode, i.e., the radar beam doesn’t shoot. You’re clocked by time and distance over some type of road markings, i.e., perpendicular striped lines on the roadway.

BC
    Last edited by Bridge Cables; 10-20-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Newcomer

Interesting, thanks for that. I would guess on the highways here, it is a lidar leo on top of the overpasses, alerting the waiting cruisers, and radar on the cruisers.

Sounds like a similar trap I have here on I-77 south, he uses a Pro Laser III. Always fun watching these big hulking HP SUV’s draining their gas tanks dry trying to catch up to someone… they do eventually. They probably spend more on gas than the revenue generated on the ticket.

BC

Experienced

I to live in the Edmonton area. Moving Lidar doesn't exist. LEOs are starting to get sneaky and setup overpass traps, as you've mentioned. They'll hit vehicles from the rear as they come out from under the overpass. The LEO will then notify members waiting above to pull you over. This method is most predominant on the Henday from Sherwood Park to far West/SW.

I've been hit once with this method and thankfully wasn't speeding, as I only have an LI dual (front heads), was alerted by V1 and saw the LEO shooting me from the overpass.

If you're interested in learning more of the technology in the area, I've been an enthusiast for over 8 yrs and have good Intel of what's being used and also have good countermeasure, as you can see in my sig.

Feel free to PM. I'm going to also be offering jammer testing in the area, as I'm purchasing a couple of Lidar guns to have on hand.
    Last edited by brettzo; 10-21-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Experienced

In the US, while it is generally not unlawful to simply possess a mobile scanner while not committing a crime, you can be sure there are some states where they think it is with no exceptions and you will at least get your equipment confiscated. As long as you are not committing a crime, you don't have much to worry about even in states where the statute is vague or unlawful. If you do live in a police state with such ridiculous laws, you may simply want to use your mobile phone as a scanner which afaik, no law against that....unless you are committing a crime.

Would be interested to know about Canada since I go there from time to time but fortunately, I don't speed any longer. Was in the game for about 20 years before I retired from the cat and mouse car game. I am generally 5 under in my car but on the motorcycle, that's a different story.

Newcomer

Cool, brettzo. I will look you up when I have installed AL G9. I am thinking of using dual on rear, and getting LI HP heads for front, both with cheetah wireless on BMW 128i. Considering LI HP heads for front because of vertical mounting setup in BMW kidney grilles. Cliff from LI has said there should be no problems with both of these systems co-existing with Cheetah WFK.
    Last edited by Brad128i; 10-22-2012 at 06:07 AM.