Stealthed Like a B-2

Default Sti-R Plus, V1, & LI. Settings plus first ticket in 4 years

Hey,

Been a while since I've been on but returning as I just bought myself an additional LI sensor and another Valentine one after mine got stolen a while back. I've been running two LI's plus the STI-R Plus. Good but in today's world not good enough. I've been pulled a few (3) times recently scratching my head and some how managed to get off on all but one two days ago.

The STI-R Plus is an amazing detector besides one key element. I love the remote install but that is also its downfall. Sticking it under my license plate (only place available), is so low to the ground, that I believe it often leaves it open to miss key signals especially for KA.

Also not having any arrows is HUGE. There is absolutely nothing in my opinion of running the V1 two years that is benifical over anything else besides the arrows. It's KA performance particularly on 35.5 is so weak I should have been ticketed over 12 times. It is essential you know where the threat is though.

My Laser Interceptor has done well in some aspects and failed me in others. I got pulled over once and got off doing 11 over. It went off but the cop just got in his car and pulled me over. Upset that he got a reading so easily I was more than pissed. I went and pulled out a Lidar unit (PL3) and tested my install, to only find that at very short distances PT's were inevatible. Which is very poor on the gun I was using.

I have a BMW Z4 which has a very small profile but obviously don't let that fool you. Then recently I was doing 50 in a 30 not even really realizing it and got lit up with what looked to be instant punch through.

After being very upset about that I gave Cliff a call, which might I add, through the entirety of doing business with him for the past 3 years is probably, hands down, the best person I've done business with throughout my life. Remarkable business man and his customer service is the BEST I've seen in any industry bar none. After talking with Cliff, we figured out I got shot with the Lazer Allie, and I didn't have the CPU update. Which if any of you have not received this update I inform you to do so ASAP. I also attribute it to my first time getting pulled. You're talking instant PT's at really any distance. I also decided to purchase another head, allowing two covering my headlights directly via an unconventional install and one over the license plate. I think it was necassary for sure.

I also decided to purchase a V1 so that I was able to pick up the arrows and additional height for Ka signals. This is where several questions arose. First point is I like the quietness of the STI-R Plus on K band, but when the STI does alert, I would like to know where it is coming from. Second point is I would like one detector to be dedicated for KA but I feel I lose one aspect that I need if I do that. If I turn off the K on the STI, I lose quietness; If I decide to turn off the K on the V1 I lose direction on K band. If I turn alerts/volume off, on K band of the V1 I lose a dedicated KA device. So the questions I have, are as follows:

1. If I decide to run with K off on my STI what would be the recommended settings for the V1?
    2. If I decided to run K off on my Valentine what would be the recommended settings?
    3. If I decided to run K off on my STI, what are the segments I would use for all radar guns (as I am in a variety of areas and states on the regular) but ones who are mostly in tune.
    4. I know the V1 has some features in which K wouldn't be such an annoyance (as I drive through metropolitan areas often) if so what are the recommended settings.
    5. I am sort of open for any suggestions. If it was your set up what would you do and why

DJRams, I'm sure you should have some good input with your experience (if your even still on here ha), any recomendations are appreciated.
    Last edited by Laser-InterceptorUSA; 01-05-2013 at 05:03 AM. Reason: It made it all one Paragraph, when submitted, sorry for any errors I didn't catch when fixing it.

Lead Foot

Default Re: Sti-R Plus, V1, & LI. Settings plus first ticket in 4 years

I run: V1 X,K off. Ka guard ON, Laser on

Plus: All ON, Ka 5,8. RDR off (33.8 ghz not used in my area)

With those settings, I don't get falses and when any of the detectors go off, it's real. My V1 is up on the visor clip and is very hit and miss. Sometimes it beats the plus by 5 or 10 seconds, sometimes it is equal and sometimes it beeps 10 seconds after the Plus, just depends on the encounter and the frequency. Having said that, it always ends up alerting anyway.

Newcomer

Not sure I understand why having an arrow telling you what direction a signal is coming from is such a big deal. Considering how waves deflect- the guy could be shooting from one direction and the signal bouncing off something and hitting the detector from a different direction.

If you're getting hit by a strong signal- it's time to slow down. If slowing down when a tangible threat is near is such an embuggerance to you then I'm quite certain that arrow or not, you're getting pulled over. A guy pulls out a simple radar gun and while you're looking for the arrow he's getting a locked in number. And if you're going to slow down anyway- why do you care about what direction it's coming from. Either way- the arrow shouldn't make or break anything.

Older post but then again most of them in here are... not exactly the hub of activity.

Speed Demon

In all my years of using a V1, I have NEVER had that happen!

Quote Originally Posted by ITNKICN View Post
    Not sure I understand why having an arrow telling you what direction a signal is coming from is such a big deal. Considering how waves deflect- the guy could be shooting from one direction and the signal bouncing off something and hitting the detector from a different direction.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by midd View Post

This can happen in town with all the many reflective surfaces. My v1 arrows sure goes crazy there at times.

Advanced Member

.........Not sure I understand why having an arrow telling you what direction a signal is coming from is such a big deal. Considering how waves deflect- the guy could be shooting from one direction and the signal bouncing off something and hitting the detector from a different direction.......A guy pulls out a simple radar gun and while you're looking for the arrow he's getting a locked in number. And if you're going to slow down anyway- why do you care about what direction it's coming from........Either way- the arrow shouldn't make or break anything......
    Waves reflect some but not like you think....One is not looking at the arrows on a full hit, brakes......One will not slow down anyway, that is where the arrows help for direction on a weak signal for it is very important.....I do care which direction the signal comes from, it prevents me from wondering where the Leo is, plus it prevents me from driving down the road several miles still looking for the Leo, esp at night.....The arrows mean everthing, even tells me where the K band signal is (is it a door opener and where?).....One cannot believe all of the advantages of the arrrows, they mean everthing to ID the signal.....Plus the V1 has so many advantages that other RDs cannot even come close too!.....

Advanced Member

[QUOTE=ITNKICN;903541].......If you're getting hit by a strong signal- it's time to slow down...... A guy pulls out a simple radar gun and while you're looking for the arrow he's getting a locked in number....QUOTE]

If you get a strong hit signal with a filtered RD, it is too late to slow down in most cases! For the alarm with be after the main action......Getting a locked number does not always happen persay, it depends on a lot of variables.......

Speed Demon

Oh my arrows have bounced around. But I have never had a steady arrow pointing forward while the cop is behind me, or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckdarma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by midd View Post

This can happen in town with all the many reflective surfaces. My v1 arrows sure goes crazy there at times.

Speed Demon

YTCD, Around town in familiar territory I turn the volume on my V1 down so I can just barely hear it, and let the STi-R+ do the heavy lifting. Out on the road, then the V1's volume goes up.

When there's a signal behind me, I speed up to get away from it.

Newcomer

Not sure if you're serious- I can never tell in here because some of this stuff is just incredible.

I see a lot of defense for the arrow... to each their own.

The time it takes you to process the alarm activation, hopefully take your foot off the gas, seek out the direction of your "arrow," determine whether or not the direction of the arrow is possibly threatening to you, quickly evaluating the strength of the signal to consider whether it's strong enough to be pointed right at you or away from you at someone else, THEN measuring the need to apply the brake (hopefully after you figure out whether or not you're going to get rear ended as a result)...

Maybe I just don't speed enough to understand the benefits.