Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Looking for a lower-priced 2nd unit, any suggestions?

My sister is going to start driving soon and I thought getting her a radar detector might be a good idea (I personally splurged and have the X50 but cant see myself spending money like that on her, hah) so I was thinking something under $100.

I bought the radartest.com "megatest" and saw the Bel Express performed pretty well stacked up against all the other sub-150 detectors. I like the 935 because of the text display instead of the plain LEDs.

Unfortunately radarroy doesn't sell these :-\\. So does anyone have suggestions for detectors. (The cobra and radioshack ones got pretty horrible reviews all around, whistler looks pretty good)

Whistler Pro-73... anyone here have it? And is that whistler's best model?

Advanced Member

You get what you pay for.......don't expect too much from a $99.99 unit, especially against Ka or POP radar.
    I have a PNI Traveller as my 2nd unit $149.95......not even close to by Bel 985 in performance $300.00.....but its not a bad detector for the money, Roy sells these and newer PNI models....spend the other $50.00. :wink:

Power User

i agree, just spend a little more and u will notice alot better performance and life of the detector...it will pay off in the short and long run.

Advanced Member

Default Re: Looking for a lower-priced 2nd unit, any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by kai445
    My sister is going to start driving soon and I thought getting her a radar detector might be a good idea (I personally splurged and have the X50 but cant see myself spending money like that on her, hah) so I was thinking something under $100.

I bought the radartest.com "megatest" and saw the Bel Express performed pretty well stacked up against all the other sub-150 detectors. I like the 935 because of the text display instead of the plain LEDs.

Unfortunately radarroy doesn't sell these :-\\. So does anyone have suggestions for detectors. (The cobra and radioshack ones got pretty horrible reviews all around, whistler looks pretty good)

Whistler Pro-73... anyone here have it? And is that whistler's best model?
    First, IMHO you are much better off relying on results from www.radarbusters.com or www.speedzones.com. You'll find that a lot of people question the tesing methods and accuracy of radartest.com and Craig Peterson, and many don't even pay attention to that site anymore because his credibility has come into question in the past, so Caveat Emptor, buyer beware. If I actually saw the test results, I would have a difficult time accepting them as the final word just because of what I've heard and read about the site.

That said, either detector would be a good choice. You can never go wrong with the BEL Express models, but the Cobra XRS9700 and Whistler Pro 58 and 73 are all good value and will offer a good level of protection for the price. If you look around, you can probably find any of those for around $100 (talk to Roy and see what he can do)

Jim

Advanced Member

Whistler pro 73 is good i hear

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Newcomer

Kai, looking at your avatar, since when have you been my friend? 8)
    Lee

Professional

does anyone here own a whistler 1730 its the cheapest model only $39 for it
    i am thinking about getting this detector i know it has short range and no picking up instant on or laser or should i be better off with out a detector
    till i get a valentine one what u think? :?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by carlito
    does anyone here own a whistler 1730 its the cheapest model only $39 for it
    i am thinking about getting this detector i know it has short range and no picking up instant on or laser or should i be better off with out a detector
    till i get a valentine one what u think? :?
    Well, I would think the Whistler 1730 would definitely be better than no detector at all. Depending on where you live, there are still a lot of tickets issued using good-old constant-on, so it would provide you with some level of protection...

Jim

Old Timer

does anyone here own a whistler 1730 its the cheapest model
    I had one and ended up giving it to my friend. He has his mounted high, and he says he gets about a 5-10 second warning with constant on K band

Old Timer

Personally, I would either get a good detector or none at all. This way it encourages you to do the speed limit