Newcomer

Default Detecting photo radar sooner

Hi all, this is my first post.
    Much info here, and obviously very well informed people.
    I live in a city that uses photo radar all over the place.
    I've been caught a few times on the way to work, so now I know where they like to sit, and what vehicle they use. That was all well and good until they moved into my neighbourhood. (The ticket is sitting beside me now).
    So I decided to buy a radar detector, and not wanting to spend more than I should, I bought a cheap one.

Well it took most of a month before that photo radar cop showed up again. (Not sure if he's a cop, of a third party in a little league umpires shirt), but anyway. I now know when the Shoppers Drug Mart doors open and close, where the city transit depots are, and where the K band traffic monitors are.
    So what finally discouraged me was finding the photo radar cop, and only getting an alert as I passed by.

From what I have been reading, and now understand, they shoot a very weak Ka band signal that is hard to detect with my little noise maker.

I was wondering if there is a way to peak a detectors sensitivity so I could at least know a block ahead of time when my friend has his gun out.

I'm afraid to just go out and buy a more expensive model in case it does the same thing.

Advanced Member

You need a detector with NARROW modes for photo radar, such as the V1 Euro Mode, BEL Target Euro 550, Bel Target 966, or BEL 975. Most detectors won't give you much useful warning for weak photo radar, but the detectors with narrow only sweep the frequencies of interest which equates to increased sensitivity.

Professional

Wow.. I remember ther being more than just Jim's post here...

we lost a whole bunch of info here :cry:

Newcomer

I didn't see any more info in this thread, but was looking for more. Sometimes I just break things, but sometimes I fix things too. I took my RD apart, and there are adjustments for the different bands. I was thinking I'd catch my friend with his gun out and sit across from him and see if I could adjust my signal to catch his a little stronger. Doesn't matter much, I'm going to have to buy another RD anyway.
    My city is alive with radar and laser activity, so it's figure out what band the cops use, zero i on it, and hope they don't change it, or go nuts with all the beeps and whirrs that don't seem to mean anything.

Webber

Advanced Member

Yeah I remember there being another post where someone was like "all of the detectors jim said would be a good choice for photo radar"...maybe "Carlos From Spain"?

Professional

haha that was me!

Basically i said all the detector's jim mentioned would be perfect, with the 966R at the top of the list.

You need to try research into what radars they use there. If it is only multanova, then indeed the Bel966R would be the best option. You need a narrow band detector against photo radar.

Does it look like the radar in my signature?