People will ask, "Well, since I never drive over the posted speed, why do I still need a detector?"

Because there are many towns across the country that operate faulty radar units...units that have not been checked for calibration that leads to errors in speed readings.

Case in point - Years ago I was driving in a small town at 32 mph in a 35 mph zone (yes, my speedometer was accurate within 2 mph after going through several "radar signs" ("Your speed is...") and all read my speed within 2 mph of my speedometer's reading). Well, I got stopped and got a ticket for doing 37 mph.

So I had two choices - fight the ticket in court or pay the ticket (with its 5 year insurance surcharges added to the price). I paid the ticket and then went out looking for a detector. Why admit to speeding when I wasn't? I don't have the energy to "fight city hall" every time I get a "bad" speeding ticket - my goal was (is) to "see" them before they see me on their faulty radar equipment by being aware of them BEFORE they are aware of me.

Well, the cost of that ticket was about $400 including insurance surcharges for the next 5 years - the cost of a good performing detector. So now, when my V1 alerts, I slow to 5 mph under the posted speed to increase my chances of avoiding another "bad" ticket.

That's why all drivers who NEVER speed need a good performing detector to avoid "bad" tickets like the one I got many years ago and haven't got another since, thanks to my V1 - a plug (thanks) to Mr. Valentine and his excellent performing V1