Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Advantages of Custom Sweps

So far I got a pretty good idea on why doing custom sweeps is so helpful in detector operation but what I can't seem to get for an answer as to the advanced warning time gained by doing this. So far, the answers I got are too general - "it's so much better", etc. - for me to go out and purchase additional equipment on a fixed income.

No one seems to be able to give me even an estimated gain in warning time (reduction in falses is not a problem for me) in seconds, if this is possible. Sure, setting up a controlled test is very difficult but it is the info I need to make my decision. Even a general amount of warning time would do.

So I'm asking one last time, how much warning time is gained in seconds for most typical encounters???

Speed Demon

Default Re: Advantages of Custom Sweps

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Q View Post
    So far I got a pretty good idea on why doing custom sweeps is so helpful in detector operation but what I can't seem to get for an answer as to the advanced warning time gained by doing this. So far, the answers I got are too general - "it's so much better", etc. - for me to go out and purchase additional equipment on a fixed income.

No one seems to be able to give me even an estimated gain in warning time (reduction in falses is not a problem for me) in seconds, if this is possible. Sure, setting up a controlled test is very difficult but it is the info I need to make my decision. Even a general amount of warning time would do.

So I'm asking one last time, how much warning time is gained in seconds for most typical encounters???
    the "seconds" part is a bit odd imo too as the sweeps of a normal detector are far faster then that !

Speed Demon

the "seconds" part is a bit odd imo too as the sweeps of a normal detector are far faster then that !

Experienced

Buck - That's what is confusing me also. If a band or all bands are swept within a second or so, then the only advantage would be in reducing false signals "outside" the commonally used parts of each band for speed detection. The only other advantage to repeated sweeps of each band would be to establish in a quicker time wether the signal detected is truly a radar speed signal?

I'm beginning to think its a case of the blind leading the blind unless someone can be more specific as to the advantages of customizing sweeps.

Everyone seems to be swept (pun intended) up in custom sweeps but, so far, only one response of many mentions "time" as being the most important factor in changing sweeps. So I'm assuming this "time" saved increases alerting time? If so, by how much time. I can see by turning off bands that are not used in your area can cut down detection time (again, by how much time?) as well as false signals but modifying each band's sweeps and its advantage seems to elude most people doing these changes - either they don't know why they are doing these modifications (and following the crowd) or they do not want to devulge the true reasons for such modifications.

Speed Demon

Not sure what you mean by that above.I didn't "buy" anything so as to run Custom Sweeps on mine.

Experienced

I thought you needed a smartphone and the program from Valentine (to get the graphics and device needed to change the settings.

Speed Demon

^ Not necessary unless you prefer to see the graphical representations of sweeps/alerts.
    I do not have an Android device.
    I do not have the VR tool($50) for wireless ESP.

I do have a friend who does & we pgm'd my V1 for Custom Sweeps & that's how I run mine...bare bones & stand alone in my ride.

Got a friend,Mr Q ?

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by RRedRocket View Post
    ^ Not necessary unless you prefer to see the graphical representations of sweeps/alerts.

I do have a friend who does & we pgm'd my V1 for Custom Sweeps & that's how I run mine...bare bones & stand alone in my ride.

Got a friend,Mr Q ?
    Not a computer litterate one anyways. This is why I'm hesitant to do custom sweeps - the cost involved and whether doing so gives me any noticeable advantage in response time to speed radar signals.

Quote Originally Posted by RRedRocket View Post

Got a friend,Mr Q ?
    Not a computer litterate one anyways. This is why I'm hesitant to do custom sweeps - the cost involved and whether doing so gives me any noticeable advantage in response time to speed radar signals.
    Custom sweeps will allow you to make the V1 as sensitive as you would like on any particular Ka band. Some have over swept 34.7 and get performance as good as the RedLine with BS & RDR. All depends on what you see the most and what you want out of it.

I could say you will get a ~30% increase, but it will depend on how your V1 is set now and how you set custom sweeps. The other plus is less falsing, which is overlooked a lot.

It took me a while to program custom sweeps, but with a lot of patients and a quick search with Google for "V1 w/V1C Custom sweep programing" it will be much easier.

Experienced

CJR - Thanks for the info. It seems I finally got some useable info to help me decide whether to try sweep modifications or not. One factor for not doing so is that where I drive, the roads are never straight, somewhat hilly and loaded with houses and thick vegetation. I would think increasing the sensitivity/warning time would maybe be a waste of time and money in these conditions. 99% of my driving consists of roads that, at most, offer fairly straight views of 1/4 mile and most roads only offer from a hundred to a few hundred feet clear views ahead/behind. Falses are not a problem for me so with most towns using K and Ka, would doing a sweep change get me anywhere ahead of the game???