Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry V1 False Alerts from Tractor Trailers

I've been getting strong false alerts from tractor trailers on my V1 (3.893). When I get in front of the truck or beside the driver's door the detector is showing full signal strength on K, all eight LEDs are lit up. Not sure if it is limited to one trucking company, but last time I noticed it was on an Estes Freight Line truck. I kept getting falses from over a mile away. As soon as the truck would come around a curve 3/4 mile behind me I would show 3 LEDs.

Anyone else have similar experiences or know what is triggering the falses?

Experienced

Default Re: V1 False Alerts from Tractor Trailers

I have not but I bet these drivers are using a radar jamer . In "the old days", truckers used a primitive jamer that sent out a strong radar signal that supposedly made the cops radar read a constant speed (usually 55) when in range. Since the signal is strongest ahead of the truck(s), its a good bet.

I have this happen too. Not sure what model my V1 is. I have always figured they were running a junky radar detector that was falsing, but not giving me the "J" alert. I have false signals, but no J all the time with radar detectors in cars.

Experienced

From what I understand, the "J" setting will only work with Cobra detectors. I don't know if other brands will activate the "J". Besides, junk detectors generating those spurious signals won't be detected by even a good RD at any useful range.

To be safe, if the signal is fairly strong and remains alerting for more than several seconds, I would treat it as a real radar threat. Better being safe than sorry.
    Last edited by Mr Q; 04-11-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Experienced

Sorry about the gibberish in my post - seems its a product of the site and I can't edit it out..

I had a similar issue about a month ago on the Pennsylvania turnpike. I identified it to be a particular truck and it was a very significant signal. I couldn't put enough space between him and me to keep the V1 from constantly alerting. Sometimes I'd make it around a slight curve and get a brief reprieve only to have him reappear and peg the detector. I was getting signal off him from both behind and in front. Could a detector be putting off that much garbage?

Experienced

Usually, when my V1 goes off due to another (Cobra) detector, the signal disappears at about 100 feet to up to 100 yards. Any further and I suspect the causing vehicle is running a radar jammer. I have encountered a few of these (mostly trucks) and their range is close to a regular PD radar. My last encounter with a car using one resulted in my V1 still alerting to a moderatly strong signal some several hundred yards ahead of me. Like you, only curves and hills gave me a very brief rest from the long alert.

Advanced Member

I too am finding semi trucks putting out a very strong forward K signal. It may be something like a distance-brake safety warning instrument for the truck to avoid rear ending someone, that is my guess. If someone has a CB, ask the driver. On 78 across MS, I too found one truck and had to out run him with his signal detected over a mile away with the rear horn of the V1....To add- I found on the internet where a radar signal and a camera are used in the truck to prevent rear end accidents....
    Last edited by North Alabama; 07-18-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Experienced

N.A. - That may be true in some cases but these warning devices (if existing) would (I think) only be detected for short distances - certainly not those such as I and others have experienced. For many years, truckers have used jamers and most (I believe) are independent truckers that don't seem to worry about getting caught using these devices. It's a shame that when we use such sensitive RDs as the V1, we have to put up with such long alerts especially at great distances from these users. Besides, I can't think of any safety devices that would normally have ranges greater than a hundred yards. Just one more reason for truckers adding to their devious reputations. After all, we do the same but with passive devices and that makes a BIG difference.

V1 Zombie

All top end radar detectors get K band alerts from large farm tractor, also train engines seem to set to give the v1 2 k band hits. Very normal. Happens to all my v1's over the years and my redline as we'll. it's been documented few times in this forum