Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Radar Detectors Soon Useless?

I am going to recreate this whole topic because I had a question that was never answered. It went like this.April 11, 2005 — A new speed-measuring system that its inventors say is fully undetectable may someday render radar detectors useless.

The inventors, from the University of Florida, will outline the research in a paper in an upcoming issue of the journal Transactions on Robotics and Automation.

The technology is so new that police are not yet equipped with it.

However, the device's inventors say that could change at any time, since it would take minimal effort to outfit officers with the system.

The U.S. Air Force Office of Scientific Research also is interested in the research, which it plans to apply to robotic airplanes and ground vehicles for surveillance purposes.

"It (the new system) will be forever undetectable since it does not emit any form of energy that gives itself away, like radar and laser systems," said Warren Dixon, a university assistant professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering who was part of the research team.

Radar and laser guns transmit beams to a moving object. Upon hitting the object, the beam changes frequency. When the beam returns back to the gun, the frequency change is deciphered to determine speed.

Detectors can pick up a gun's bands of energy and alert speeding motorists that someone is watching. As a result, many speeders avoid getting tickets.

Dixon told Discovery News that the new device, inspired by human vision, eliminates radar and laser beams altogether.

To read full story, here is the link

(http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs...411/speed.html)

Newcomer

Then gto 04 replied to this with a counter measure. here it is:
    All you have to do is render the license plate number unreadable. If the camera is infrared sensitive, all you have to do is aim some high intensity infrared lights at the license plate(s). The IR lights need only be stronger than the surrounding light and the license plate will be unreadable. And if the camera is not IR it useless at night and with adverse weather conditions.

For every speed enforcement measure, there is a countermeasure.

GTO_04

Newcomer

Then I replied with this, which I think might prove that this type of speed enforcement might not be able to be defeated (hopefully not true but possible): Well, as far as blocking your license plate, yeah that works. Problem is, this isn't a standalone machine. there is a cop behind it, and if the camera takes a series of pictures of your exact car and the speed and the distance from a pole. The cop then knows which car you are on, he gets in his cop car and follows you. What defense do you have to that? I am very into countermeasures, but I am not sure if there is a countermeasure due do that problem.

Old Timer

You know what they didnt cover in this article?

COST!

Newcomer

it says 5 million.The system — developed using a $5 million grant from the U.S. Air Force — is similar to those already in use in the U.K. and Australia. Because such systems don't use lasers or other active technology, they can't be foiled by radar detectors.

Experienced

If its stationary, GPS based alerts will defeat it, ala drivesmart in the UK with photo radar sites. There's lots of good reasons the US based RD MFGs should move into GPS integration, this is just one of them.

Experienced

what does GPS integration do for detectors? oops sorry i should have searched...it can show you where all the speed cameras and traps are correct?

Newcomer

yeah.. its a database that tells anyone thats a member where these cameras are, and if the members find any new cameras they post it on the site, the site basically runs itself as long as the members actively help spot the cameras, if not it becoms useless.

Lead Foot

hmmm see...i just dont think a police will go to the extreme of buying the ultimate BEST technolgy and spend sooo much money even though theres k or ka band n laser which is just as good. will police really spend soooooo much money just to get the 5% of the population using RD's? but on the other hand, the city that generates more than millions in trafic tickets could deff. afford the BEST. but im pretty sure the city has better things to do w. the money rather buy a maybe 60k survallence speed thing. will jus hav 2 see wht happens wen tht thing comes out.