Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default Question about window tint

I recently got a new bell detector and am trying to figure out where to mount it. I was thinking about putting it in the center of the window twards the bottom but I would prefer to mount it a little higher up by the rear view mirror but am affraid the tinting towards the top of my window will affect it :?: Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Banned

The tinting toward the top will affect the radar detector. I have been pulled over once because a police officer saw I had a radar detector(they are NOT illegal in my state) and I know this because he made a pretty big deal about it. He went as far to say...now if I were any other trooper I would give you a ticket just because you have one of those things..blah blah blah. I wan't actually speeding. The officer just wanted to show me how big his balls were and that he could do anything he wanted. The good thing is he didn't give me a ticket

Professional

mount it a lil below the tint.. the line is pretty definitive.

Advanced Member

If the tint is metallic film, it can hurt radar detection. Any kind of tint can effect laser detection.

Heres a couple of links to read where some tests were done on the tint bands and windshields of different vehicles.

http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt1.asp
    http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt2.asp
    http://www.valentine1.com/laserhowto/

Jim

Speed Demon

I have my X50 suction cupped to the "black dots" that surround my rear-view, and the RD itself peeks out below them (as seen from the front). So far no issues but I'm waiting for a real-life test to know for sure. :wink: Car is a 2000 Subaru Outback wagon.

Where are the cops when you're looking to test something?!?!?

Power User

Hey everyone thanks for all the great links & pics, I had no idea the tint had that much affect on my detector :shock: I'll defiantly stay away from the tint now.

Newcomer

also if your car has a special film on the windshield ... I think it is made by ford or something called like clearview.....Idk it is in my manual and it can leave unremovable marks on your windshield...anyone else has this in your manual ill hafta check mine when I get to my house..... or know the exact name and which cars have it. Pretty sure it Ford though...maybe GM :?:

Newcomer

I found what I was talkin about on the V1 site heres what they said

Here’s what to watch out for; any glass with a metallic film, usually put there either as a heating element for defrosting, or as a solar barrier to reduce interior heat from the sun.

You can usually tell by looking carefully which windshields have the film—if you see an unusual bronze or reddish tint, check with your dealer.

Be especially watchful of GM front-drive minivans (1989 to present), older Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Lincoln models with the optional InstaClear windshield, and the “insulated glass” option on Audi A8 models.

Experienced

I've been wondering something similar myself, if (hopefully when, depending on what my girlfriend says) I get a radar detector my tint band extends quite low. I'd like to mount high, will it effect radar range?

I'm not concerned about laser.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by fallen8511
    I've been wondering something similar myself, if (hopefully when, depending on what my girlfriend says) I get a radar detector my tint band extends quite low. I'd like to mount high, will it effect radar range?

I'm not concerned about laser.
    Most tint bands will have no effect on radar. The only ones that do are the ones with metallic content (few). To test it, just mount your detector behind the tint, take a few runs at a steady false alarm source, then try it mounted slightly below the tint. If there is no difference in the warning, you're good.