Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Experienced

Default Ok I finally found the Answer

Ok I have tried the high mount and low mount theory for almost 6 months straight 3 months low mount 3 months high mount. If I saw a speed trap i would turn around and mount it high if it was low and vice versa. Same thing with a laser trap. Regardless of lab results my results are from the real road going down highways freeways parkways country roads dirt roads you name it. A higher mount gives you allot more detection range both laser and radar. Also let me just say I'm not talking about a high mount like above your mirror. As i have found thats actually is to high. The perfect spot is just slightly below your mirror. If you have rear laser detection just make sure the optical lense has just enough clearence room so that the mirror is not blocking the rear lense and make sure theres enough clearence room that you can see the screen so you can read what signal it is. Anways if you sit it slightly below the mirror i have found on countless times that is the sweet spot. And believe me I have tried it ever position possiable over the 6 month period I have gone as far as turning around and going through the same speed trap atleast 3 times to see what the difference was. Especially with laser when I mounted it low I never got the laser to go off unless I was right on top of him. When I put it where i said to put it I actually got a pretty good warning not much but enough for me to slow down. If you have been a low mounter I highly recommend doing what I say it only takes one hit with a radar gun and you will see the difference.

Radar Fanatic

This is a great post, and thank you for doing it because I have been fighting with different mounting locations for quite a while. I like my high location next to the mirror because it's discreet, but I'm worried about laser detection and I really can't use my sun visor this way. Maybe I can find below-the-mirror spot that's to my liking and never think about it again!

Just out of curiosity, what kind of detector/vehicle have you been running all these tests with?

Advanced Member

i would be too brick since CT is big on laser on the highways.

Any way i have my BEL mounted just below my mirror

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Founder of Stealthvation

I like mounted right above my rear view mirror. The Blinder and Veil take care of my laser problems but I have found that the V1 has AWESOME laser detection capabilities. I would have to say that 80% of the time my V1 goes off at just about the same time as my Blinder.
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Banned

I also mount just below the rear view mirror and I always get the laser alert.

8500 X50

Experienced

Both a taurus and toyota camry and a mercury sable. 3 different car types I have tried this in. I have a whistler cool pro 73 and bell rx 65 I tend to use the bell more. If somebody ask from know on where to mount it refer them to this post. I have gone to great lengths to test this high and low theory. I went through one speed trap so many times both cops were looking at me like I was nuts or something

Newcomer

I have also done some testing myself and even though the manuals say mount low as possible but not blocked by the windshield wipers, i found that mounting on my visor clip is more effective then mounting low. I only had one laser pre-hit alert compared to 5 when mounted on the visor clip. PLus you dont get people following you because you have a radar detector visible...even though I used to be "that guy"

Newcomer

good job man finally someone has answered the question directly now all i need to do is do some wiring so i dont have that long cord going down to my lighter plug btw im driving a 2004 honda civic lx

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by JammerTests Webmaster
    I also mount just below the rear view mirror and I always get the laser alert.

8500 X50
    hey u got a pic on what your 8500 x50 looks mounted ?

Radar Fanatic

I sold a friend a Whistler 1655 a while back and told him to mount it right below the mirror, and even with that cheap detector, he still got a warning from scatter off of cars in front of him the one time he has come upon laser. I'm convinced that was at least partially due to the mounting position.

I will say that I think Roy's got it right as far as vehicles like his own (large truck), low mounting would make more sense from a laser perspective, but i'm going to have to respectfully disagree with his reccomendations for mounting low when in a small car - I know my RX won't be leaving it's just-below-the-mirror mount any time soon.

Thanks for the research BFG9000D.