Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red lights

Speed Demon

Default Red lights

Why do all radar detectors come up with K band at most red lights? Is it because they have camaras? or is my detector just messed up or soemthing? I've noticted this with all of my radar detectors and was jsut wondering why it does that?

Professional

Default Re: Red lights

Quote Originally Posted by Radar 4 Ever
    Why do all radar detectors come up with K band at most red lights? Is it because they have camaras? or is my detector just messed up or soemthing? I've noticted this with all of my radar detectors and was jsut wondering why it does that?
    its cause there are something worng with the radardetyectors even the x50 is doing it?
    something is worng

Power User

Default Re: Red lights

Becuase red lights are at intersections, at intersections you have stores of varying kind, and at those stores in the area of the intersections, they have motion sensors. Hence you get alerts in those locations more frequently.

Good Citizen

Now that you mention it, my PNI Silver Bullet does that every now and then too...

Professional

Take a careful look at the traffic lights again and look for a motion sensor on the top or some kind of sensor that is designed to adjust the traffic light sequence based on the volume of traffic approaching those lights. decent radar detectors rarely give spontaneous false alarms - there is usually a reason. They are designed to bleep and flash at you when they pick up a frequency they are programmed to look for.

Some states use K Band for radar guns but 24GHz (K Band) is an internationally agreed frequency in every country around the world for motion detection, so there are other devices will use the exact same frequency for motion detection. For example, here in the UK, some of our traffic lights have sensors which look like a small grey rectangular box on the top of the post. They emit the same K band signal so detectors think it's a speed camera and give you an alert. Some automatic door openers have the motion sensors emitting the same K band signals.

Look at this way, at least you know that your detector is working becuase it if it wasn't picking up those K bad signals, you'd also be missing on on K band traps. It's the nature of the beast and the way the technology works. There is usually a perfectly logical reason for false alarms (unless you have a really duff detector)

Cheers
    A

Advanced Member
    5680 Oakbrook Parkway Suite 149 Norcross, GA

Because you have a cheap detector.

Speed Demon

I have an X50. Hows that chea[?

Newcomer

I have an X50. Hows that chea[?
    Because it's not a V1, ROFL!

Good Citizen

My X50 never does this, but the ****ty cobra 9400 does it all the time, KA usually

Advanced Member

K-band radar to judge what the light should be...My college town uses X-band sensors

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96