Thread: Dfr1 vs lrd750

Advanced Member

Smile DFR1 vs LRD750

Well I was quite impressed with the DFR1, so I ordered a second DFR5, (K band filtering) to see if it's as good performance wise. Amazon sent me an LRD750, although the Uniden box said it's a DFR5. Oh boy, I got excited! Fresh unused, sealed box, all tags on, an LRD750? I was not surprised to find the LRD750 is in fact a DFR5 in performance. Man is that a confusing learning curve from our buddies at Uniden. It seems the LRD750 targets outside U.S. markets, so I was really pleased to toy with it. I was also surprised to find the DFR5 and LRD750 presently sell for $180 in Canada, and $349 in New Zealand, respectively.

Findings: The range of the DFR1 and LRD750 seem identical, and false's seem on par. Both are excellent non-LNA (low noise amplification) performers, and faster than units that use resampling on weak or foreign signals. The LRD750's K band filter is a nice addition to anti-falsing. The Uniden claim that the "DFR1 long range vs the extended long range of the LRD750" seems false, and verbose. Like many other detector brands, the terms "long, extended long, very long, extremely long, super duper long, insanely long" ranges are confusing and mostly meaningless. At least the $13 Chinese Amazon detector's use universal distance measures, something all American rd's should move toward in advertising. The DFR1 heads up includes different tones for four bands that display, and a geiger tone that increases in volume and speed for range. Three bars display signal intensity. The LRD750 red dot matrix display also includes different tones for four bands, a geiger tone that increases in volume, speed for range, and in addition, has a pleasing female voice similar to Whistler's Real Voice technology. The voice cycles through a band test when turned on, and guides you when buttons are pressed. Five bars display signal intensity. The volume range is excellent and crystal clear on both units. Oddly, the LRD750 incorporates an accurate digital voltage meter that continuously measures in 10th's of a volt in real time. This is a very useful supplement for the analog or no meter vehicle, and aids in monitoring battery and alternator health. Highway and city modes display to the left of the voltage . Both detectors are small and very light weight making the window mount cups adhere exceptionally well! A Velcro strip is also included for dashboard searing.

I've always loved a small footprint on my windscreen vs the current large heavy R7, and the Max 360, both with un-sucky break away cups. My high mount preference for my detector requires a small footprint to the left of my mirror so my vision of the road is optimal. If you drive a high performance car, your windscreen is probably small and very slanted. That in itself quickly limits the footprint of any detector on road visibility. I for one find most detectors are shoe boxes on my windows. For now, I'm happy on the highway with the DFR6. Locally, the LRD750 is all I need.

Kmeleon
    Last edited by Kmeleon; 09-10-2019 at 09:50 AM.