advertisement

Des Plaines alderman's push to revisit red-light cams fails

Des Plaines 5th Ward Alderman James Brookman was unsuccessful this week in getting the city council to rethink its installation of two red-light cameras.

Brookman hoped to get fellow alderman to review and possibly repeal the Red Light Photo Enforcement Program approved by the previous city council. He wants the city council to put the red-light camera question to voters to see if they want them.

But his motion to get the topic on a future agenda for discussion failed 5-3 Monday night with only Brookman, 4th Ward Alderwoman Jean Higgason and 7th Ward Alderman Dan Wilson voting in favor. First Ward Alderwoman Patti Haugeberg, 2nd Ward Alderman John Robinson,3rd Ward Alderman Matt Bogusz, 6th Ward Alderman Mark Walsten and 8th Ward Alderwoman Rosemary Argus voted against it.

“I'm not surprised but I'm disappointed,” Brookman said. “I think for an elected body to refuse to even discuss this issue is disappointing.”

The city installed two mounted red-light cameras at the intersection of Golf and Rand roads, which had 16 accidents in 2008. The cameras face westbound and eastbound Golf Road and record violations 24/7.

A specially trained Des Plaines police officer reviews videos of all potential violations before notices are sent to the vehicle's registered owner.

Violators can review the photos and video caught on camera at RedlightViolations.com and either pay a $100 fine or contest the ticket through the city's administrative hearing process. The violation does not affect a person's driving record or insurance rates.

Wilson said that although he supported red-light cameras, he has no problem with Brookman discussing the issue again in a public forum.

Walsten, however, said he believed it was a waste of time revisiting the matter.

The last day for any government body to adopt a resolution to place a referendum question on the April 5 consolidated election ballot is Jan. 18, City Attorney Dave Wiltse said.

Brookman still plans on circulating petitions to get enough signatures to put an advisory referendum on a future ballot.

“It will take significant work but it will be done,” he said.