Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Scanners illegal in CA?

i'm new to the whole scanner cb radio scene, and i know that cb radios are legal in california, but is it legal to have a scanner in your car in california, any info is appreciated....

Newcomer

Default Illegal in Cali

Well it says that scanners are illegal in the comission of a crime, so are they legal if you just have them in your car and listening?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Illegal in Cali

Quote Originally Posted by Bm1987
    Well it says that scanners are illegal in the comission of a crime, so are they legal if you just have them in your car and listening?
    On that note, I'm in michigan and it says

Michigan - (2006 law) - LAW REVISED 2006! AT THIS TIME, it is STILL illegal to use a scanner in Michigan. However, in about 90 days: Use in furtherance of a crime will be illegal. (posted 3/4/06)
    I have a scanner I listen to ALL the time. . . well whenever I'm at home anyway. I have been contemplating putting one in my car - even though it'd be illegal. Now I'm happy to hear that it will be legal, so long as I'm not doing anything illegal w/ it. So umm how will I know when it is truely safe to put it in my car??

Newcomer

Now one must ask themself if using a scanner to try and find out where LEO's are at while speeding would be concidered a comission of a crime?
    After all speeding is against the law.
    This might be reaching a bit but you never know how a LEO will act.

Speed Demon

Yeah if you get pulled over for speeding and you are using a scanner, I'm pretty sure you will get in trouble because you are using it for a crime. Depending on how big of an asshole the cop is, they might not mention it in the ticket.

I got pulled over for speeding once in NY where it is illegal to have a radio in your car if you don't have a permit. The cop was PISSED about me having it and would have given me a ticket and confiscated the radio if I didn't explain to him that I was an MA First Responder. I showed him my certification card and that was the end of that

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Now one must ask themself if using a scanner to try and find out where LEO's are at while speeding would be concidered a comission of a crime?

I think they are meaning a higher up crime. . . because a civil infraction - isn't a crime, I don't call it one anyway. You wouldn't just have it sitting out next to you anyway. chances are you'd have it tucked into something or behind you or something.

Speed Demon

Well when I was in NY he saw mine. I had it under ths seat and it was turned off. He probably saw the cables running down to it (I have the antenna that's a wire with suction cups)

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by bauzer71487
    Quote Originally Posted by Starr

I think they are meaning a higher up crime. . . because a civil infraction - isn't a crime, I don't call it one anyway. You wouldn't just have it sitting out next to you anyway. chances are you'd have it tucked into something or behind you or something.
    Yep, speeding is not a crime it's a violation.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Synbios
    Yeah if you get pulled over for speeding and you are using a scanner, I'm pretty sure you will get in trouble because you are using it for a crime. Depending on how big of an asshole the cop is, they might not mention it in the ticket.

I got pulled over for speeding once in NY where it is illegal to have a radio in your car if you don't have a permit. The cop was PISSED about me having it and would have given me a ticket and confiscated the radio if I didn't explain to him that I was an MA First Responder. I showed him my certification card and that was the end of that
    live in NY and am planning on getting a CB radio would that be legal or do i need a permit.
    thanks[/i]

Speed Demon

AFAIK, CB's are legal everywhere. It's only if it's a radio SCANNER that it can be illegal in some places. If you have a HAM license or something emergency responder related, then you can get away with having a radio other than a CB in your vehicle in most states where they are illegal. Just check the laws in my profile.