Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scanner or CB?

Speed Demon

Default Scanner or CB?

I have read other threads that deal with this topic and never really got a straight forward answer.

I guess the scanner and radar thread got me on this kick now.

What would you prefer more, a scanner or a CB? Would be nice if I could have both but what would the 1st choice be? I know how a CB works etc as I owned one before

Im not up to snuff on the scanners. I hear about digital scanners and how they are expensive but worth it obviously if the area you frequent is using digital. Do these digital scanners also pick up the "regular joes?" I would like a scanner to be hand-held if possible. Can the handhelds recieve a good range? I know I couldnt cough up the money for the Uniden Bearcat BC296D, but that is one I would look at getting. Is this a good unit?

I would like to have a full size CB and not a hand held. I use a hand held now and it doesnt have good range. Only drawback from the full size units is mounting location. I have had one stolen from my truck sitting in my drive-way.

What full size unit would you suggest for the CB?

Sorry for all the questions, I am an electronic guru and I always do alot of research before I make a purchase. I always have to have the best out there cause with electronics you get what you pay for.

Speed Demon

Uniden Bearcat BC296D and the pro-96 from radioshack. Are the only two digital handhelds out that support 9600 baud digital trunk tracking.

Theres a new scanner coming out for christmas. So I wouldnt rush in on buying a digital scanner now. Scanner technology moves pretty fast. Theres acouple counties that cant decoded yet. More and More counties will follow. If it were up to me I would wait. Radio scanners are boring. Trust me your arnt missing anything important
    As far as cb's go..
    I got a midland 79-290 and a palomar 350 watt amp. CB's are great. Better investment then radio scanners. Truckers are a great entertainment. Plus they give reports on speedtraps etc.

Advanced Member

I have run both a scanner and a CB, and a CB is by far more useful for ticket aviodance than the scanner (although the scanner can be more fun). Of course this is travelling the interstates etc.

The truckers are pretty much on it, if there's a cop nearby and truckers on the road, you'll hear about it on CH19 without even asking.

There have been a few times where I heard police on a scanner announce their location (mile marker etc) but they were usually busy with someone pulled over already. I haven't had a scanner save me from a VASCAR speed trap but this is possible. Also, the "Highway Patrol" alert on the Uniden beartrackers has been useful to me in the past.

One time going north in Illinois, on the CB I heard about a laser speed trap (with 5+ cops) over 100 miles ahead of me when I crossed the border going north. Of course, that is much better warning than any detector can provide. I got an alert on my Beartracker a minute or two before reaching the speed trap, then when I did reach it the V1 alerted that I had been hit by laser.

So in some cases, having a CB can be even better than having a detector. VERY useful for travelling a long ways. Of course, the CB isn't always 100% but neither is an RD. Just another thing to add to the arsenal.

Also, if you are thinking of a scanner, be aware that in some states use of a scanner while mobile is restricted (it is in Michigan where I live, and in Indiana where I travel frequently) so you might check it out HERE.

Jim

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    I have run both a scanner and a CB, and a CB is by far more useful for ticket aviodance than the scanner (although the scanner can be more fun). Of course this is travelling the interstates etc.

The truckers are pretty much on it, if there's a cop nearby and truckers on the road, you'll hear about it on CH19 without even asking.

There have been a few times where I heard police on a scanner announce their location (mile marker etc) but they were usually busy with someone pulled over already. I haven't had a scanner save me from a VASCAR speed trap but this is possible. Also, the "Highway Patrol" alert on the Uniden beartrackers has been useful to me in the past.

One time going north in Illinois, on the CB I heard about a laser speed trap (with 5+ cops) over 100 miles ahead of me when I crossed the border going north. Of course, that is much better warning than any detector can provide. I got an alert on my Beartracker a minute or two before reaching the speed trap, then when I did reach it the V1 alerted that I had been hit by laser.

So in some cases, having a CB can be even better than having a detector. VERY useful for travelling a long ways. Of course, the CB isn't always 100% but neither is an RD. Just another thing to add to the arsenal.

Also, if you are thinking of a scanner, be aware that in some states use of a scanner while mobile is restricted (it is in Michigan where I live, and in Indiana where I travel frequently) so you might check it out HERE.

Jim
    I have that link bookmarked along with all the others you posted. I am from TX so I have no worries and dont travel out of state hardly ever. I like to hear things going on around the neighborhood, if I see it happening I have LEO friends that work for the city and can find it out.

Next question. With the hand held I own, everytime my bass hits...I have an amp and sub, it will pick it up. If I purchase the Cobra CB you have Jim, will I run into the same problem?

Do you have an external antenna for that model? What antenna do you have?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by CLTX11
    Next question. With the hand held I own, everytime my bass hits...I have an amp and sub, it will pick it up. If I purchase the Cobra CB you have Jim, will I run into the same problem?
    That's difficult to say, you might have the same problem because if your system is puttin out CB freqs for whatever reason, there's not much you can do. You would just ahve to try it and see what happens.

There are "noise filters" to filter things out such as ignition noise etc, but not sure if they would work for the noise from your amp and subs, I would be skeptical.

I get some noise when I run my windshield wipers

Do you have an external antenna for that model? What antenna do you have?
    I'm not sure what model, because my brother-in-law gave it to me and there's no markings on it. To choose a good antenna, generally bigger = better range. But many people don't want a huge antenna, unless they drive a truck or something. Also, for optimum performance, mount it on a metal section of the vehicle (good ground plane) and as high as possible. Unfortunately, on my cars about the only part of the body that is metal is the rear fenders...

Speed Demon

To choose a good antenna, generally bigger = better range. But many people don't want a huge antenna, unless they drive a truck or something. Also, for optimum performance, mount it on a metal section of the vehicle (good ground plane) and as high as possible. Unfortunately, on my cars about the only part of the body that is metal is the rear fenders...
    Well I drive a 98 Z71 so itll go right along with the "redneck penstripes" AKA copenhagen spit along the side.

Only downside of the antenna in my circumstance is it is eye-catching for theives. They see the antenna and know you have something in there of value and want it to sale.

Also, dual antennas, do they help in range or just to make it look symmetrical? Im not the brightest when it comes to these things, never payed any attention to the installation much less hooked one up.

Advanced Member

Also, dual antennas, do they help in range or just to make it look symmetrical? Im not the brightest when it comes to these things, never payed any attention to the installation much less hooked one up.
    I've seen this sometimes...
    I am sure it does give some advantages, but I'm not sure what these are. They're probably good where the signal going to one antenna would otherwise be blocked by the vehicle etc...

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    I've seen this sometimes...
    I am sure it does give some advantages, but I'm not sure what these are. They're probably good where the signal going to one antenna would otherwise be blocked by the vehicle etc...
    I've heard that the dual aerials can sometimes cause echos. Any truth to that?

Power User

CLTX11

For a scanner I would go with a Pro-97. It just came out and it can track edacs, Motorola, LTR. For our area it is a pretty good scanner. There are only a few cities that are digital. Grand Prarie, DFW airport and one other city that I know of. Also I think scanner are very intresting.

I also hear speed traps set up on weekends usually before I go to church. You can hear them making stops in X location so when you go through there you will see about 6 cars or so in a trap.

I am not to up to speed on CB's. When I used to truck drive they were great on long trips if you wanted to know where the bears were, city kittys, county mounties etc. Other than that thats about it. Unless you have a long trip I wouldn't mess with it. Also good when you are stuck in traffic you find out which lane is best to get in. I think one of the best cb's a few years back was the one with the connex board or something.

Jason

Professional

dont for get to get your cb peak&tune if you want more audio and range thats if you got a cb shop in your state.
    but allways get a good antenna that is the frist thing you want to do
    and check you swr make sure they are not over 1.5 1.1 or 1.2 are the best
    but make sure you get them flat real low cause if talk on high swr
    than you will burn you radio peace out time to go rest from a hard working day .