Newcomer

Default scanner/cb questions from the new guy

I've tried to research here and other sites, but information concerning out of production units seems hard to find.

Q--are the BCT10 and BCT12 the only "miniature" devices of their kind?

Q--are devices such as the BCT8 the same size as an indash device such as a CD player?

Q--What *small* CB could anyone recommend?

There is limited dash/positioning space on my motorcycle. Ideally, a trunking unit and CB receiver together the size of my x50 would be wonderful. But being a realist, I don't expect that to exist. So, can anyone recommend the elegant solution to my wants? Also, the gurus seem to know whether a particular state or area is analog or digital...where can I get that information. And lastly...is air patrol on the regular police bands, or do you need to dial in another set of numbers for scanning.

Thanks in advance.

joe

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockmeupto125
    Q--are the BCT10 and BCT12 the only "miniature" devices of their kind?
    Yes, they're the only ones that small (and detector shaped) that have the highway patrol alert feature. These units are still useful in some areas, but others have changed radio systems ince these were released.

There are handheld units that are smaller, but they don't have the "Highway Patrol Alert" etc, and most aren't all that great for scanning.

Q--are devices such as the BCT8 the same size as an indash device such as a CD player?
    Yes!

Q--What *small* CB could anyone recommend?
    I don't really have a recommendation. I use the Cobra 75 WX-ST, all of the electronics are in the handheld mic. But you can find some CBs with pretty small base units, almost as small as an RD. I think I've even seen them at Radio Shack.

There is limited dash/positioning space on my motorcycle. Ideally, a trunking unit and CB receiver together the size of my x50 would be wonderful. But being a realist, I don't expect that to exist. So, can anyone recommend the elegant solution to my wants?
    That's a tough one. You can only hope that Uniden releases an updated version of the BCT10/12 with all of the capabilities.

Also, the gurus seem to know whether a particular state or area is analog or digital...where can I get that information. And lastly...is air patrol on the regular police bands, or do you need to dial in another set of numbers for scanning.
    I believe that Pennsylvania is in the process of adoptiong a statewide digital system if they haven't already. Usually, air patrol will be on special "tac" frequencies, not the normal ones used by dispatch. To find info on your state, search the web for Pennsylvania Scanner Frequencies and you should find some good info.

Hope this helps!

Jim

Newcomer

Yes, that's a help. Thank you, Jim.

I travel quite a bit, so I have needs beyond what my local LEO is doing.

It sounds like I'll need to save for one of the digital trunking scanners, and for now just look for a veddy small CB. I would normally never transmit unless off the bike, so a microphone with the electronics in it would be a liability. Would there be a problem with my FRS com unit and the CB in close proximity?

Professional

cobra 25 or a uniden pc 66. just get a good antenna tho i think wilsonantenna
    makes a a little smaller antenna than my wilson 1000 it called a little wil antenna
    those are the best small antennas i seen and you are set to go

Speed Demon

Yes, that's a help. Thank you, Jim.

I travel quite a bit, so I have needs beyond what my local LEO is doing.

It sounds like I'll need to save for one of the digital trunking scanners, and for now just look for a veddy small CB. I would normally never transmit unless off the bike, so a microphone with the electronics in it would be a liability. Would there be a problem with my FRS com unit and the CB in close proximity?
    I would hold out on buying a scanner now. As far a frs and cb theirs is no problem running both at the same time.