Thread: scanner antenna

Newcomer

Default scanner antenna

I have an older modell uniden bearcat (bc 200 xlt) hand held. purchased it in 92 + still works great! my question is i,m looking for a mobile magnetic mount antenna for my mh. I,ve seen 1 at radio shack that,s all band, covers 25 to 1300 MHz. it also says it transmits on 70cm, 2m, and 6m ham bands(up to 25 watts) since i will only be recieving transmissions, would this antenna still be a good way to go ??? will it work with the old anolog modells??? also, how high can this be mounted? say the top of a mh.? appreciate any info. Bg Anc. Ak. :?:

Speed Demon

Default Re: scanner antenna

Quote Originally Posted by bg
    I have an older modell uniden bearcat (bc 200 xlt) hand held. purchased it in 92 + still works great! my question is i,m looking for a mobile magnetic mount antenna for my mh. I,ve seen 1 at radio shack that,s all band, covers 25 to 1300 MHz. it also says it transmits on 70cm, 2m, and 6m ham bands(up to 25 watts) since i will only be recieving transmissions, would this antenna still be a good way to go ??? will it work with the old anolog modells??? also, how high can this be mounted? say the top of a mh.? appreciate any info. Bg Anc. Ak. :?:
    I have the same antenna! Its a pretty good antenna for scanning. I would mount it on the trunk if you have one. If you mount it on top. I think the magnet with hold up to 70mph on the highway?

If you travel alot on the highway. Get something that will hold up to speed,

Power User

the best antenna would be a diapole, or just a UHF gain antenna

Default "Through glass" style CB and Scanner antenae vs.

Does anyone have personal compares or information on the differences between a good quality "through glass" antenae vs. a "drill a hole in your car" antenae? I've used both in the past and seem to have had good luck with both but I can only imagine that the through glass type is going to have some range loss. I love a clean install and prefer the through glass for that reason. If there is a huge reception loss, I may work out something different. I will use a seperate antenae but still "through glass" style for my CB as well. I use a BC796D scanner and a 75wxST CB radio and getting ready to install in a different vehicle.

Power User

I am currently using a thru glass antenna, dont have any trouble with range at all.but if I had a 5db gain elevated feed external antenna I would get more range...but do I need it??

I can hear the cops on the radio from 40/50 miles away...so reception is ok for me.

As you can see in the pic it is not intrusive at all...

Default ProComm

Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    I am currently using a thru glass antenna, dont have any trouble with range at all.but if I had a 5db gain elevated feed external antenna I would get more range...but do I need it??

I can hear the cops on the radio from 40/50 miles away...so reception is ok for me.

As you can see in the pic it is not intrusive at all...

Your's looks great. What brand/type of antenae is it? It looks nice and short. The antenae that I currently have purchased for the scanner is a ProComm brand model PC-SGM/MKT but the whip is about 26 inches and it has the funky "cellular" pig tail about a 1/3 up from the bottom. If this is supposed to be a fake cell antenae, I've never seen one that tall. Should I use it? Your's appears much shorter and I would defineatly prefer it. I guess the good thing is it is about the same height as the CB antenae so it may have symetry on the rear glass. :?:

Speed Demon

Default Re: "Through glass" style CB and Scanner antenae

Quote Originally Posted by Just Right
    Does anyone have personal compares or information on the differences between a good quality "through glass" antenae vs. a "drill a hole in your car" antenae? I've used both in the past and seem to have had good luck with both but I can only imagine that the through glass type is going to have some range loss. I love a clean install and prefer the through glass for that reason. If there is a huge reception loss, I may work out something different. I will use a seperate antenae but still "through glass" style for my CB as well. I use a BC796D scanner and a 75wxST CB radio and getting ready to install in a different vehicle.
    Stay away from through glass antennas. Their crap and you lose db when you mount them.

Power User

thats bull****e raresvx... I have never had any treouble with mine, ivused 2 of them now with great results ..like i said, I can get uHF reception over 40 miles away...

i will try and get the rand for you just right

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    thats bull****e raresvx... I have never had any treouble with mine, ivused 2 of them now with great results ..like i said, I can get uHF reception over 40 miles away...

i will try and get the rand for you just right
    Hook it up to a signal meter if you dont believe me. :roll: