Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Looking for a Good CB Radio

Well i am looking fo a good CB radio for my SUV i want to mount it under that passenger seat. Can this be done? Also what are the top few models and there prices please.
    thanks

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Looking for a Good CB Radio

Quote Originally Posted by carter840
    Well i am looking fo a good CB radio for my SUV i want to mount it under that passenger seat. Can this be done? Also what are the top few models and there prices please.
    thanks
    I'm using a HANDHELD Midland 75-820 with a Wilson 5000 antenna... very, very reliable, strong signal/reception up to 20 miles on open road... if you want a stationary CB you can get one for $50 plus local taxes, mine is a bit more expensive being portable... you can get stationary CB for over $1K, Galaxy carries the high-end models but those are mostly for super-professionals... you can use any CB radio you want and most convenient for you BUT the antenna is the one that makes all the difference, the better the antenna the longer the range of strong signal you are able to get/hear... Wilson 5000 is the top of all magnet mounted CB antenna but is also the most expensive... also, if you think its whip is too long, I think it's 62' or 64' long, you can buy an original Wilson SHORT-LOAD, about $20, that's about 1 ft shorter but it's doing the very same job as the longest one... I'm using the short-load for my Wilson 5000 that works GREAT... I ain't no trucker, 4-wheeler to use the trucking lingo...
    Hope this info helps a bit... best of luck :wink:

Radar Fanatic

Well one thing i didn't mention is that i don't want to put an antenna on my car car i still get a CB radio? I guess i'm also looking to spend just under 200 bucks.
    thanks

Speed Demon

I've seen people tap into their AM/FM radio. This isn't optimal but it works if you don't want to buy a CB antenna and/or have a CB antenna on your car.

Radar Fanatic

Any recomended units?

Speed Demon

despite how much we bash cobra radar detectors, I think they make pretty decent CB radios. I've used a few cobra CB's in my time and they are good quality for the price, I doubt anyone could disagree.

It's just like how uniden makes the crappiest phones, but they make the BEST radio scanners.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Synbios
    I've seen people tap into their AM/FM radio. This isn't optimal but it works if you don't want to buy a CB antenna and/or have a CB antenna on your car.
    If you do this be sure not to transmit or you may damage your car stereo and possibly the CB too.

Speed Demon

Now that I think about it, the people I know who have done that never transmit, but only use their CB for listening.

Newcomer

A vertical fm antenna will work fine for listening. a in glass won't work good because its horizontally polorized.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by carter840
    Well one thing i didn't mention is that i don't want to put an antenna on my car car i still get a CB radio? I guess i'm also looking to spend just under 200 bucks.
    thanks
    To make a comparison, I wouldn't mind using my FTA satellite receiver (or any other DTV, DN receiver) with no dishes mounted in my apartment's balcony and still be able of getting all the sat channels :roll: :roll: :roll:
    You can buy any CB radio you want, from $50 (Cobra) to over $1,000 (Galaxy), but with no competitive/professional ANTENNA mounted ON TOP OF YOUR VEHICLE you better do something more productive with your money and just forget about the notion of CB Radio!!! With no professional antenna MOUNTED on top of your car your CB radio is just a piece of garbage (in terms of getting something productive out of it)!!! Therefore, if YOU are really serious about using a CB radio for your regular road trips your question should have been "what's the best antenna to get in order to get the most out of my CB radio?" and just then "what CB radio you folks recommend for a novice ham operator?"
    My Wilson 5000 gives me up to 20 miles of clear/strong signal (open road, no building around) and it's always on top of my car...