Lead Foot

Default Choosing the RIGHT CB

Hi I was looking to buy a CB soon, I checked on the net a bit and found some nice cobra model, now Im wondering if CB brand is all the same. I think all model will only allow 4Watt also should I look for CB that have the SSB Band, does it worth it? does the 12Watt power will increase the range very much, any advice thanks

Professional

If you are buying a CB for use in the car on trips, a 4 Watt non-SSB model should be fine. Most of the SSB use is for folks who talk to others on a regualr basis and want some extra distance and separation from the other AM channels. I don't think road reports are common on SSB.

I'd pick a model that also had a built in weather radio, and was of a size that would mount easily in your vehicle.

Ed

Advanced Member

I have used an old uniden i got from radio shack in the 80s with a big whip attenna and it works great...My friend has a newest cobra CB with lighted blue attenna he switch to a bigger whip attenna and now gets the best range

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

if you want a regular cb radio 40 channel go with a uniden cb radio
    the newer cobras have cheapy boards in them the old ones are the best
    dont get the ones made in china and also get you a good wilson antenna
    they make a few models to pick from and you will be happy

Would the handheld models work well enough to use on a roadtrip? Or is it nessesary to purchase one with an external antenna? Also can a regular CB pick up on the police channels?

Good Citizen

I found that just about any CB will be good for highway traveling. You'll get decent range for talking, but who wants to do that right? You want to listen in and find out where smokey is. All the truckers will have high powered CBs, and my little radio will pick them all up, assuming they are using standard 40 channels. They'll tell you what mile marker he's sitting at.

Myself, I've got a Cobra 25 model, matched with one of those antenna that shoots through glass. Not the best way to go, but I'm not bolting, glueing or otherwise attaching anything on the body of my Firebird, nor am I installing a metal sub chasis for it underneath. Sorry. ;-) The downside is a reduced transmitting range but like I said, that's not what I use it for.

With whatever antenna you choose, be sure to have it tuned with your radio (SWR) before transmitting.

I've made plenty cross country trips where the combination CB/RD saved my butt on numerous occasions.

If you get a handheld I would suggest getting one that allows for using an external antenna.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Walt
    Myself, I've got a Cobra 25 model, matched with one of those antenna that shoots through glass. Not the best way to go, but I'm not bolting, glueing or otherwise attaching anything on the body of my Firebird, nor am I installing a metal sub chasis for it underneath. Sorry. ;-) The downside is a reduced transmitting range but like I said, that's not what I use it for.
    Got any pics of the install? I am curious about how you mounted the base unit in your 'bird...

Jim

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Got any pics of the install? I am curious about how you mounted the base unit in your 'bird...

Jim
    No, but I can fix that tonight. ;-) I'll take a couple shots and post them a little later on my site.

Good Citizen

Ok...Here they are ***photo link removed - photos taken down***

The power runs up under the dash and over to the fuse box. The antenna cable runs up into the dash, down into the driver side floor cover along the edge, to behind the side panel of the back seat, out the back seatbelt hole, up and around the hatch. I installed clips around the back window. The antenna is installed on the bottom of the rear window, centered.

You have to be careful about the security detector. That is mounted right above the CB. On the flip side of where the CB is installed. Held there by adhesive.

BTW... I took the photo with my leg there, so you can see how much leg room I still have. The seat is all the way back.

Professional

Ok...Here they are http://www.basilweb.net/photo.htm

The power runs up under the dash and over to the fuse box. The antenna cable runs up into the dash, down into the driver side floor cover along the edge, to behind the side panel of the back seat, out the back seatbelt hole, up and around the hatch. I installed clips around the back window. The antenna is installed on the bottom of the rear window, centered.

You have to be careful about the security detector. That is mounted right above the CB. On the flip side of where the CB is installed. Held there by adhesive.

BTW... I took the photo with my leg there, so you can see how much leg room I still have. The seat is all the way back.
    nice install :wink: