Thread: The best

Professional

Default The best

Alright gents...is there a downright winner when it comes to CB's? And Scanners? or is it like Radar detectors....top 3?

Radar Fanatic

Well basically cobra is the "top of the line", but it really isn't neccessary as I've come to find out. I was looking at the cobra's and I think they are over priced. Bought a midland 4001 and it works great. Its got everything I wantd in a CB. Anything more you are just paying for more features.

The top top of the lines have great filtering and stuff - but thats all junk if you don't have a decent antenna.

Thinking of an anology to RD's with CB's and antenna's. . .

Ahh - A RD is no use without a driver that knows how to use it. Same with a CB - its only as good as its other half(the antenna) . .

Professional

TM :wink:

Radar Fanatic

I have the AR 1000 hand held scanner from AOR, and the Uniden Bearcat BCT-700A scanner.

Speed Demon

For the scanners , Uniden and Radio Shack are both offering top of the line units.

Advanced Member

Choosing a CB is a lot like choosing an RD. What do you want to spend and what will suit your needs. Do you need a small unit, or do you have room for a bigger one? (just realized what I typed, keep your minds out of the gutter!! ) How advanced do you want to get in terms of modifications? Do you want to get into the upper and lower side bands? I really don't know if there is such a thing as the top 3 in CB's. Galaxy, Uniden, Cobra, they are all good CB's. There are other top line CB's out there, but I can't think of who they are at the moment.
    Outside Independence Hall when the Constitutional Convention of 1787 ended, Mrs. Powel of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin, "Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?" With no hesitation whatsoever, Franklin responded, "A republic, if you can keep it."

-V1 3.872 (1.3 Mi. C/O Ka pointed away from me. 3.6 Mi. C/O K)-Bel RX65 New Backup (4.1 Mi. C/O Ka 35.494 Ghz, light traffic) -Laser Interceptor Gen-8 Dual (No saves yet ) -Bel 980. -Galaxy DX 959 with a peak and tune.
    -Wilson Lil' Wil antennae. -Whistler 1585. -Whistler 1430. -Passort 3200 w/ 1000 laser detector (got stolen, bought one off ebay for nostalga).
    -Cobra Trapshooter RD-31XX? (Can't remember silver/teardrop shape X, K only). -Cobra Trapshooter RD-3110 (my first RD in 1987, when Cobras were good, bought one off ebay for nostalga new in the box). -Kustom HAWK. -Kustom Falcon cordless K Band. -Kustom Talon.

Speed Demon

I've also been looking into purchasing a CB. It's really hard because everyone has so many models. Cobra and Uniden alone have more than enough models.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Synbios
    I've also been looking into purchasing a CB. It's really hard because everyone has so many models. Cobra and Uniden alone have more than enough models.
    it's NOT the CB that does the real job on the road, the antenna is the one that gives you short range (low performance antenna) or long range (good antenna) of clear signal... for cars (and trucks as well) Wilson is the most performant one... the very best is Wilson 5000...

Professional

Default Re: The best

Quote Originally Posted by aaseavey
    Alright gents...is there a downright winner when it comes to CB's? And Scanners? or is it like Radar detectors....top 3?
    Only a few companies make scanners. (Uniden, Radio Shack) There's a few other companies that make receivers which in some ways are similar. (AOR, Icom)

The top of the line scanners will receive digital signals, trunk track, have 1000's of memories, and have a computer interface.

Radio Shack has the Pro96 portable and Pro 2096 base/mobile. The features and performance are identical. I have the Pro96 and like it alot.

Uniden has the BCD396T portable and BCD996T base/mobile. The 996 is newer and has more memories, and is able to be interfaced with a GPS for POI alerts, and automated selection and deselection of what's being scanned. I just ordered a 996 and it's supposed to arrive today.

I work from home a lot, and some days I like to have a scanner or two running the background. When I see a police helicopter circling overhead, or hear sirens, I like to cut on a scanner and find out what's going on.

Ed

Professional

Alright gents, thanks for the help. Step 1 is get over to radio shack and get set up. Ebay is also another idea of mine