Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default Police scanner audio from my own experiences

I know this is not really related to radar detectors but since this forum deals with scanners I thought I would post this. I have been scanning for many years and have posted some of the best ones that I have heard over the radio. Shootings, police chases, foot chases, others its all audio. Some kinda intresting. I did this site a long time ago so some of the links are gone.

http://www.geocities.com/dfwscanning/DfwAudio1.html

Jason

Power User

I am sorry to have posted this. It was an old site that I created a long time ago and just from a few downloads it has already crashed.

Jason

Lead Foot

Hey outrun ,how much did it cost you to have that police scanner in your car <both the unit and installation costs if its not removable> Also, its probably a stupid question, but is it legal to have one in your car? (Specifically CA heh)

Speed Demon

California has perhaps one of the longest and most voluminous sets of laws dealing with monitoring and the scanner hobbyist.

Most of its laws can be found under Chapter 1.5, Title 15 Miscellaneous Crimes, California Penal Code, Sections 630 to 637.9 and cover the gamut of eavesdropping violations. However, of all the sections one is of particular interest to the scanner listener -- section 636.5 titled "Police Radio Communications; prohibited interceptions; penalty."

Section 636.5 prohibits any person who is not authorized by the sender, to intercept any public safety radio service communication, by use of a scanner or any other means (such as online scanner audio on the Internet), for the purpose of using that communication to assist in the commission of a criminal offense or to avoid or escape arrest, trial, conviction, or punishment. It also punishes those who divulge to any person he or she knows to be a suspect in the commission of any criminal offense, the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect or meaning of that communication concerning the offense intending that the suspect avoid or escape arrest, trial, conviction, or punishment. Violations of Section 636.5 in California are considered a misdemeanor punishable by a fine or jail for less than one year or both.

Section 636.5 goes on to say that, “Nothing in this section shall preclude prosecution of any person under Section 31 or 32.”

Sections 31 and 32 of the California Penal Code are the state statutes that deal with and explain the liability of principals to a crime, those primarily involved in the planning and execution of criminal activity, and those who are mere accessories to a crime.

This provision in the law allows California to prosecute the scanner listener who helps others commit a crime, not just for the illegal scanner use, but also for his or her part in the actual crime that was being committed to the extent that the law would already consider them either a principal or an accessory. For example, if Billy Badguy (as he is often called in law school examples) decides to help his buddies commit a robbery and offers to bring along his scanner to help. When he hears on his police scanner that the police are on their way and honks the car horn to signal his partners in crime, he not only violates Section 636.5 but may also remain guilty of his role in the robbery.

Section 636.5 defines "public safety radio service communication" as a communication authorized by the Federal Communications Commission to be transmitted by a station in the public safety radio service. This is a common definition used by other states as well.

check here as well:

http://www.fordyce.org/scanning/scan.../scanlaws.html

Does this help?

Speed Demon

Also found this site with scanner freqs.

http://www.northcoast.com/~edg/scanfreq.html

Lead Foot

Yea helps a lot. Thanks BiGeAsYgUy. I figured as much but just wanted to make sure. I'll just add a cb to my car and see what the truckers are chatting up, help me out that way hehe.

Newcomer

I thought that cities around Dallas, especially Garland, would be on digital. What kind of scanner do you reccomend for in car use around Dallas and throughout Texas?

Power User

I have been scanning for years. Honestly for the car I would recomend a handheld. It can be taken anywhere. Living here in Dallas, Garland and maybe other cities you don't want to have a mounted unit where it can be stolen. If you watch and listen to some of my videos you will here my scanner in the back ground. It is The pro-95 which is on clearance right now. Now it does not have the greatest range as you would get out of a base unit but you really don't need that.

I have friends in the media and the most popular in car scanner is the bc785d. Non digital but can be upgraded with the card. I own this scanner but use it at home. It is the best scanner that I have ever owned.

jamesd

You mention that you thought a lot of cities would be digital. Around here there are a few. Like Grand Prarie, DFW airport and then maybe 3 others that are not police related. However in the future other cities will be going digital. But digital scanners are out. The pro-96 from Radio shack is one. Uniden also has a few. But for now most in the area on on Motorola or Edacs (Ericsson) and I have also seen a lot that are LTR.

As the law goes you can have a scanner in the car as long as it is not used to commit a crime. Texas law.

Jason

Professional

what sort of information do u get from the scanner in everyday use?

Power User

Lots of information for me. I monitor the scanners as I do freelance video. Something news worthy happens I am there.

OUTRUN