Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default How long till digital scanners hit $200?

Title is pretty self explanatory. As much as I want a scanner, I cant see myself springing for one of the digital ones yet (digital is in use in much of my area, state and local).

Sucks.

Speed Demon

Hm thats a tuff one discuss. There a new digital scanner coming out for christmas. So thats when you will see the price drop. Not alot maybe $100 bucks off. For it to get down to $200 dollars. I would say 5 years from know. Radio scanning prices pretty much hold their value for long periods of time. By the time it gets down to $200 its going tobe way obsolete.

Lead Foot

if your local police "or whatever" switch to Digital, does that mean it will also be ENCRYPTED/ENCODED so you cannot ear it?

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by LiQuiDz
    if your local police "or whatever" switch to Digital, does that mean it will also be ENCRYPTED/ENCODED so you cannot ear it?
    all our local cops here switched to digital if you got the right scanner you can hear everything puls there is some mods you can do to them but you need to know the right folks to do the job.cell phones to
    you are not safe when talking on cells :shock: anyway they will become
    cheaper in about 3 years i paid over 500 for mine but they are worht
    it and every way you can think :wink: 8)

Speed Demon

If they use provoice your screwed! Thats the new type of digital! Very few departments are using provoice. No scanner today can decode provoice. If it catches on. Uniden and RadioShack with have to come out with a new digital scanner. Someone is testing out a provoice scanner. Should be out by christmast.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by carlito
    all our local cops here switched to digital if you got the right scanner you can hear everything puls there is some mods you can do to them but you need to know the right folks to do the job.cell phones to
    You cant listen to cell phones anymore. Analog cell phones are very rare now of days. Even if you find a old scanner that picks them up. You will only hear one side of the conversation. Cell phones today are digital! You cant buy a scanner to decode those.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by raresvx
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito
    You cant listen to cell phones anymore. Analog cell phones are very rare now of days. Even if you find a old scanner that picks them up. You will only hear one side of the conversation. Cell phones today are digital! You cant buy a scanner to decode those.
    mm, but if I'm not mistaken, some scanners can be (illegally) modified to receive cellular transmissions.

Founder of Stealthvation

I bought the UNIDEN BC-250D SCANNER along with the digital card for $100. I spent a total of $250 (scanner and card) and now have digital capability even though my local police dept's use conventional still. I hope that I got a good deal
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by raresvx
    Hm thats a tuff one discuss. There a new digital scanner coming out for christmas. So thats when you will see the price drop. Not alot maybe $100 bucks off. For it to get down to $200 dollars. I would say 5 years from know. Radio scanning prices pretty much hold their value for long periods of time. By the time it gets down to $200 its going tobe way obsolete.
    I work @ radioshack, so if it drops $100 during christmas... I get a 30% discount. $499 - $100 = $399 - 30%(Discount) = $279.30 + 6%(Tax) = $296.06

Better than $499+Tax, I guess.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    i could of sworn ar radio shack i saw a dual trunking digital scanner for $200 how ever i'm not sure it's it's good or not
    Radioshack has a smaller (DIN size?) triple-trunking scanner on sale for $149. I'd say not too bad of a deal.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=20-426