Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Digital or Analog Scanner?

Here's what I've been able to find out about the State of Louisiana radio system which is utilized by the State Police:
    http://www.radioreference.com/module...=TRSDB&sid=266

How do I tell if this is a digital or analog system? What about encryption?

Would a scanner as simple as the RadioShack Pro-83 work?
    What about the Highway Patrol alert on a scanner like the BCT-8, would it work with this system.

If this is a digital system I probably won't bother because they're too expensive right now.

Old Timer

I wouldnt buy the cheap scanners anymore, I bought one and my town is going digital in may.

Your town may not be going digital for a long time, if thats the case- PM me and ill sell you mine

Lead Foot

depending where you live you still can find some good stuff on analog... I recommand you a Uniden BearCat (no specific model)

Advanced Member

From the info you posted, it looks like regular analog trunked radio. Get any scanner that does trunking and you should be good to go...

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    From the info you posted, it looks like regular analog trunked radio. Get any scanner that does trunking and you should be good to go...
    In case anyone else is like me and dosen't know what "trunking" means this seems like a good explanation:
    http://www.signalharbor.com/ttt/00jan/

I guess the RadioShack Pro-83 wouldn't work for me then since it dosen't seem to handle trunking.

So, Jim how were you able to determine that it was not a digital system? What would I have seen at that link if it was digital?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by jeff d
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    In case anyone else is like me and dosen't know what "trunking" means this seems like a good explanation:
    http://www.signalharbor.com/ttt/00jan/

I guess the RadioShack Pro-83 wouldn't work for me then since it dosen't seem to handle trunking.

So, Jim how were you able to determine that it was not a digital system? What would I have seen at that link if it was digital?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    It says system voice analog on the page. You maybe interested in a BCT8 made by Uniden. I would first make sure there were no immediate plans to go digital in your area first.

Newcomer

Given the possible limited life of this technology coupled with the fact that it may not work in other states that I'll drive through I think I'm going to look at just getting a CB. See my other thread:
    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...?p=22731#22731

Is my under standing correct that I'll have to load all of the frequencies into the scanner for my area and then if I travel to another state I'd have to look up their frequencies and load those up for each state that I'd travel to?

This seems like a lot of trouble for someone who's not particularly interested in listening to every radio transmission from police in the area in the hope of hearing something usefull.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Speed Demon

Louisiana is always the last to get anything so we will probably have the old equipment for a while. Some scanners have the freqs in them and you just program the state and it will adjust them automatically but I could be wrong.

Lead Foot

Given the possible limited life of this technology coupled with the fact that it may not work in other states that I'll drive through I think I'm going to look at just getting a CB. See my other thread:

Is my under standing correct that I'll have to load all of the frequencies into the scanner for my area and then if I travel to another state I'd have to look up their frequencies and load those up for each state that I'd travel to?

This seems like a lot of trouble for someone who's not particularly interested in listening to every radio transmission from police in the area in the hope of hearing something usefull.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    The BCT8 does pick up CB frequencies as well but you will be SOL as far as trying to talk back of course.

Advanced Member

IMHO a CB will do more for avoiding tickets...

Pretty much. The BCT-8 comes pre-programmed and you just select the state. Much easier than loading in freqs manually. IMHO, the best choice scanner for ticket avoidance.

It has the "Highway Patrol Alert" which can alert you to nearby police by detecting certain radio freqs (see my posts in some of the other threads about how this works)...

BTW, it also recevies CB so you'll kill two birds with one stone (No CB transmit though).

Yes it is.
    I'm somewhat of a scanner enthusiast, and even I don't even want to do that for every state I pass through, that's why the BCT-8 is good...

(BTW I don't own a BCT-8, but I DO have the older versions, BCT7, BCT10, and BCT12. But if I was in the market for one the BCT8 is what I would get)

Jim