Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Experienced

yes take it its a good deal hope it works though if does cool now get you a good antenna like a any kind of wilson antenna they are very good any model and also the wilson lil wil mag mount is very good not to tall not to short.if you have a cb shop around your area take it up there and get a peak&tune they will make you radio do more watts and your audio will be louder and more range! 4watts legal litmit.
    and with a peak&tune they will make it dead key 6watts swinging 25 watts when talking and also get a better mike good luck with it
    Did you have this measured? It's hard to take 12 volts in to a 50 ohm load and get 25 watts out. It's also why you end up with 4 watts. (12 / 50) * 12 = 2.88 watts. Of course we are talking AC here so it changes a bit. At 13.8 volts (normal alternator) you get 3.8088 watts. Real world may be a little higher but not a lot. Now 24 volts gives you over 11 watts.

All modern car stereos and amps that produce any good power all have switching power supplies that boost the voltage way up. They in turn draw more amperage. For a while people were selling 200 watts amps that ran on 12 volts with no internal supplies. Translation, they were being ripped off.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by kai445
    Does anyone with experience know if I can get a decent combo antenna.... say, CB + AM/FM or something?
    I used an adapter to use my vehicle antenna for my scanner. I got mine from Grove Enterprises but I don't think they sell them anymore. The CB receive range with this setup was surprisingly reasonable.

Here's another place that has the adapters:
    http://www.walcottcb.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=680

Good Citizen

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5779884421&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Soo... how do you guys think I did?

$20.17 + $8 S/H

I just gotta get myself an antenna and a mount... and I'm thinking maybe a nicer mic.

Does anyone with experience know if I can get a decent combo antenna.... say, CB + AM/FM or something?
    Looks like you done good. If it works that is ;-)

Glad you got what you were looking for!

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by The Walt

Well, it says "This radio functions well around town, on trips or in the mountians." so if its DOA, then I'll have to do dispute resolution.

Umm... whats the easiest way to make sure it works 100% when I get it... just buy an antenna, install it and try using it?

Professional

you will need to tune your antenna with a swr meter from radio shack or any where else you think off
    so you wont burn you radio up make sure they are flat like 1.1 or 1.5
    not over that though then start talking and ask truck drivers and locals
    how your cb radio sounds but make sure you do that frist good luck :wink:

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by The Walt

Well, it says "This radio functions well around town, on trips or in the mountians." so if its DOA, then I'll have to do dispute resolution.

Umm... whats the easiest way to make sure it works 100% when I get it... just buy an antenna, install it and try using it?
    Easies way is to fire it up and sit on channel 19. At least if you are in a city with a highway running through it. But first make sure you adjust your SWR before you transmit.

Here are some directions to get you started:
    http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm

Good Citizen

Default More info on Antenna

Make sure you get an antenna that you can adjust. The absolute best antenna will be one of the long ones, called a quarter wave whip antenna. The theory is that to have the best transmission possible, your antenna must be at the least a quarter of the size of its wave length, and wave lengths are pretty big in the CB band. Antennas should be properly grounded.

Sometimes people want asthetics over performance. There are antennas that replace your car radio antenna and double as both radio and CB antenna. There are little antennas that look like the older car mobile phone antennas. Antennas like mine that are bigger than the small ones, have a load built in to similate the long size, and shoot through glass saving me from mounting a huge antenna and running the cable outside of my vehicle. I take a performance hit but it still works. I can still talk to people around 3 miles away, and they can still hear me.

For what I use it for, it is perfect. It has saved my butt plenty of times on the highway.

Speed Demon

Magnum 257 or Delta Force and Lil Wil Wilson antenna and you are good to go!