Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default thinking of a uniden CB

What do you guys think of this CB radio?

http://www.uniden.com/product.cfm?product=PRO538W

I like it for a few reasons. First, I really like all of Uniden's products, I own a uniden phone and lust over the uniden scanners.

It's got the basic instant channel 9, and 40 channels. Also a front speaker. I'm not sure what else a basic CB needs but those features seem good. Has 3 weather channels, that kindof sucks because there are 10 WX channels in operation so this will only work in certain areas (?)... no matter.

The biggest reason I like it is because it isnt silver and chrome, so it has less of a "steal me" flag.

Are there other CB's I can pick up cheap that are better, but still a matte black color?

Also why would someone like me be tempted to purchase a higher grade CB, if I mostly just want to listen.

Good Citizen

I'm not "heavy" into CBs. I just use them when traveling long distances on the interstate to hear where smokey is. Couple times a year for a few days. For my use, I really couldn't tell any difference in performance between brands.

If this sounds like you, then anything should serve it's purpose very well for you.

Until I figured out a place to mount my current CB discreetly I was really toying with the idea of one of those CBs that are just a little box with a handset. All your controls being on the handset. I still may do that one day if my current spot's anchor holes give out.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Walt
    Until I figured out a place to mount my current CB discreetly I was really toying with the idea of one of those CBs that are just a little box with a handset. All your controls being on the handset. I still may do that one day if my current spot's anchor holes give out.
    That what I have...

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    That what I have...
    Thats pretty sweet.

The price tag though... not having a CB before it looks a little much for what I need :-P

Advanced Member

I wish someone made a detector-sized CB receiver, with an built-in ferrite bar antenna. For that matter though, I wish Uniden would release a successor to the BCT-12 with CB receive (and a lot of other stuff too)...

Advanced Member

I wish someone made a detector-sized CB receiver, with an built-in ferrite bar antenna. For that matter though, I wish Uniden would release a successor to the BCT-12 with CB receive (and a lot of other stuff too)...
    That would be nice...One of my friends that does cross country rallies just put this in to replace his old school beast size CB. It is cheap too with excellent range according to him but i think any CB with a 36" whip antenna can get great range

3.9x1.4x5.9" It's pretty small compared to his old one. I would like to know if the range of the cobra is any different to a regular CB with the same size antenna?

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    That would be nice...One of my friends that does cross country rallies just put this in to replace his old school beast size CB. It is cheap too with excellent range according to him but i think any CB with a 36" whip antenna can get great range

3.9x1.4x5.9" It's pretty small compared to his old one. I would like to know if the range of the cobra is any different to a regular CB with the same size antenna?
    range will never be the same.as for that cb
    radio stick to a uniden cb if i was u those are not really good

Experienced

Most of Radio Shacks CB's and scanners were all Uniden. Radio Shack is not worth a dime anymore however.

As to the Uniden CB's, never had a problem with them. One would think they could make these things pretty small by now, of course you wouldn't want it like a cell phone next to your head.

Good Citizen

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Soo... how do you guys think I did?

$20.17 + $8 S/H

I just gotta get myself an antenna and a mount... and I'm thinking maybe a nicer mic.

Does anyone with experience know if I can get a decent combo antenna.... say, CB + AM/FM or something?

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by kai445
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5779884421&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Soo... how do you guys think I did?

$20.17 + $8 S/H

I just gotta get myself an antenna and a mount... and I'm thinking maybe a nicer mic.

Does anyone with experience know if I can get a decent combo antenna.... say, CB + AM/FM or something?
    yes take it its a good deal hope it works though if does cool now get you a good antenna like a any kind of wilson antenna they are very good any model and also the wilson lil wil mag mount is very good not to tall not to short.if you have a cb shop around your area take it up there and get a peak&tune they will make you radio do more watts and your audio will be louder and more range! 4watts legal litmit.
    and with a peak&tune they will make it dead key 6watts swinging 25 watts when talking and also get a better mike good luck with it