Power User

Default Pro 97 Scanner on sale at Radio Shack

Can't post the link because of rule #3, but it is on sale for $150 at radio shack.

Professional

Good scanner. I have one and it works great, no problems yet and great frequency ranges.

Text tags are a plus so no having to guess who's talking. Works great with an outdoor antenna too 8)

Newcomer

Default this this unit any good for cop detection.

another new bie qustion. Is this unit any good for cop detection and what are the fetures for that. If you folks care to share.

ben

Professional

I picked one up recently as a tool for identifying repeater numbers on LTR trunked systems, and also for it's Signal Stalker capabilities, both of which my main portable, a Pro-96 doesn't have.

It's a pretty decent radio, although how it's going to handle rebanding of Motorola trunked systems, and 700 MHz systems is unclear at the moment. There's been differing things posted online.

Ed

Professional

Yeah all of Radio Shacks non-digital (All of them except the Pro-96 and Pro-2096) are in limbo about rebanding. Supposedly Radio Shack is waiting for the 1st rebanding to occur so that they can actually see what the new Mot. Frequency table is going to look like. Can't update something unless you know what to update to

another new bie qustion. Is this unit any good for cop detection and what are the fetures for that. If you folks care to share.
    A scanner isn't like a radar detector. There are some units that are marketed to give an alert any time a LEOs in car radio is used within a certain range (like 1 mile) but this does no good unless they are actually transmitting on their radio.

Although if you have it programmed and you hear them calling out Traffic Stops at a certain location left and right or speed and distance being called out (Laser) then it's most likely a feeding frenzy (aka "speed trap") going on.

Experienced

Good scanner. I used to have one before I realized I needed a digital scanner so I returned it after about 3 weeks.

Worked well along with the PC interface. The only thing I didn't like was the double stacked Vol/Sq knobs.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by edweird
    I picked one up recently as a tool for identifying repeater numbers on LTR trunked systems, and also for it's Signal Stalker capabilities, both of which my main portable, a Pro-96 doesn't have.

It's a pretty decent radio, although how it's going to handle rebanding of Motorola trunked systems, and 700 MHz systems is unclear at the moment. There's been differing things posted online.

Ed
    What is a signal stalker?

Although if you have it programmed and you hear them calling out Traffic Stops at a certain location left and right or speed and distance being called out (Laser) then it's most likely a feeding frenzy (aka "speed trap") going on
    I've never heard anything about speed or radar traps with mine .

Professional

A scanner with "signal stalker" or "Close call" capability doesn't require you to program frequencies into it. Instead when used in this mode, it will very quickly scan all of the freqs, and stop on the strong transmissions that are very close to you.

A good example of how to use this would be to go to the mall using signal stalker, let it snag the freqs used my the stores and security. You then write them down and if you want to listen to them from farther away, you progam them into the scanner, in the regualr mode.

You should check out the http://www.radioreference.com website and read the info in the Wiki.

Ed

Speed Demon

Wow that sounds like an awesome feature.