Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default How to get around digital encryption?????

I read that some police will be changing over to "digital encryption" in the near future. Does this mean we get tune in or is there a way around it?

Speed Demon

New systems will be encrypted with AES which can be 256bits this would be impossible with current tech unless you have a Cray or the super computer at the NSA in your house. But this also would be illegal.
    So my guess is you should not bring this up again.

Here is a start of education about current systems used. DVP is the most common encryption for current police.
    http://www.fordyce.org/scanning/scan...o/encrypt.html

Education is never a bad thing, but using it is another thing that can put you in jail.

Radar Fanatic

As far as I know, there is no way to break (Good) true
    random 256 AES encryption.

If you did try to Brute force it, it would take a life time or more.

Speed Demon

All I can say is AES does have weaknesses. I just can't talk about them.

Radar Fanatic

if people could watch free satellite TV that uses insane encryption technology, then this can be hacked. The only problem is its not a potential moneymaker like the selling of satellite receiver boxes are.

Radar Fanatic

Rf signal encryption is tough very tough, in fact near impossible with todays technology that is.

There is too many codes to be decrypted, remember the days of the car alarm code grabber! this was the first devices to use rf encryption.

Same applys here, random code encryption made code grabbers obsolete, and now many rf devices use encryption technology.

the sat tv systems are made by satellite tv engineers who know how the system works and make money making theses devices, little do people relise the tv companies know who is using theses illegal devices and they pay a visit to the device users!

If rf encryption could be cracked then the first thing to get intercepted would be military radio, then mobile / cell phones, then wireless internet connections.

Old Timer

Default I thought

I thought there was a way to beat that radio encryption from the police radio. Someone told me there was a certain wire to clip inside of my scanner. I will have to look into this again. Sure would be nice to unencrypt my digital scanner. I think GTO04 sent me something once where some folks in the Netherlands were trying to do? GTO, you still there?

Good Citizen

Do you think people would waste money on encryption if all you had to do was clip a wire?!?

The newer digital encryption schemes would require a lot of hardware (and money) to break them. The more hardware you throw at it, the faster the key is broken.

Keep in mind that a lot of systems can rekey radios over the air. By the time you've broken the key, the key has changed and you're SOL again.

DVP is also yesterday's encryption scheme. I doubt there's very many systems left still running it. Most use some form of DES (DES, DES-XL or DES-OFB) or the newer AES.

The link given is an article written back in 1995. Back then DVP was 15 years old and DES was not very far behind.

Motorola is now offering ADP software encryption as well. No need for extra hardware boards so it's cheaper.

So does this mean that this is the end of the scanners as we know it. I would assume as hardware gets better and faster in scanners. That this would allow for these types of schemes to be broken. But heck what do I know.

Good Citizen

Only if everybody goes encrypted.

As hardware gets better and faster, so does encryption.

Keep in mind that in many countries it's illegal to decrypt encrypted signals. This includes the US.

No scanner manufacturer will ever build a scanner that breaks encryption.