Speedtrap Crasher

Default Uniden BCD 396 digital handheld

Anyone have an opinion on this scanner. I have a radio shack scanner but it is not digital and has no trunking capabilities so I would like to upgrade to something more useful.

It is my understanding that if I want to listen to police communications I need a scanner that can follow the switching frequencies during a communication. Or is that an over simplification?
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Professional

Default Re: Uniden BCD 396 digital handheld

Quote Originally Posted by erickonphoenix
    It is my understanding that if I want to listen to police communications I need a scanner that can follow the switching frequencies during a communication.
    If you want to listen to a trunked radio system, then you need a scanner that can follow specific conversations.

If the Police or other users you want to monitor are on trunked systems, then that is basically true.

Before you buy a specific scanner, you should use the Radio Reference web site and figure out what systems you want to monitor. That will dictate what kind of scanner (analog only, analog and digital) you need.

Depending on location, you might also discover that the folks you want to monitor are using an encrypted system, or a system for which there is no readily available scanner.