Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bearcat BCT-8

Default Bearcat BCT-8

Hey
    First off I'd like to apologise for starting another thread on this topic, I have searched through the archives and found information but would still appreciate some clarity :

I live in the NY/NJ region. Very interested in purchasing a beartracker bct-8 as a companion for my V1.
    I dont necessarily want to LISTEN to police chatter, I would just like to be alerted when there's a unit nearby before the V1 can catch it. Now do I have to worry about the switch to digital? What exactly is the point of 'listening' to a police conversation?

Is the beartracker bct-8 recommended for this purpose? I'm thinking of getting the Veil for laser protection (i dont have a front plate so just headlights and rear plate). Also got a FOP shield. I'm trying

Advanced Member

Welcome to the board...
    Yes: if you don't care about listening to police chatter but want to be alerted to nearby police, the BCT-8 is the only real option. And for this, you don't need to worry about digital either.

What you get out of the BCT-8 will vary depending on where you live or drive, the only way to really know if it will be useful to you is to try it out.

Jim

Newcomer

Check out this...

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=20-426

It is actually a BCT-8 made by Uniden badged for the Shack. It's cheaper and has a new bit of Uniden Technoloogy called Close Call. It will actually intercept nearby radio transmissions, without the frequency being programmed in, and play them. There is actually a frequency counter built into the Pro 2051 that retunes the scanner to the captured frequency and plays the audio.

If you'd like a handheld version (that actually does even more) check out the Uniden BCT-246.

i was looking at those but nothing else seems to have this feature

BearTracker™ Warning System - Alerts you to activity on Highway Patrol link frequencies to let you know if there is activity within about 3 miles of your location.

Advanced Member

It looks like that Radio Shack PRO-2051 still has the "Highway Patrol Alert", so that IS another option.

Jim

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    It looks like that Radio Shack PRO-2051 still has the "Highway Patrol Alert", so that IS another option.
    as a desktop scanner though, can it be used in the car? guess if you had an inverter.... didn't see a DC adapter for it.

Speed Demon

The pro-2051 will do the job with a lot more channels. highway patrol alerts
    Most highway patrol vehicles today come equipped with a
    secondary radio system known as a MOBILE EXTENDER or
    VEHICULAR REPEATER. Whenever the dispatcher transmits
    to any vehicle in the district, the mobile extender in every car
    within the district is activated. Using a constant PRIORITY
    CHECK of specifi c frequencies in each state, your scanner
    recognizes and alerts you to transmissions from “mobile
    extender” radios, as well as from car-to-car, aircraft to-car
    and other special-purpose frequencies. You receive an
    audible tone and visual alert (fl ashing light) whenever you are
    within approximately three miles of highway patrol or state
    police units using a mobile extender unit.

Speed Demon

It is on sale and also if its signal stalker is as good as the pro-97 then thats what you need. The only thing it lacks is alpha tags.

Good Citizen

Default Mobile Extenders

Check your state before buying Highway Alert - if you're in a state that has gone APCO 25 (like Michigan), the Highway Alert won't work anymore.

Advanced Member

Default Re: Mobile Extenders

Quote Originally Posted by cdenton
    Check your state before buying Highway Alert - if you're in a state that has gone APCO 25 (like Michigan), the Highway Alert won't work anymore.
    If you check out the manual, the BCT-8 has a special "priority only" mode that it recommends for use with the Highway Patrol Alert in a handfull of states, including Michigan, and I'm pretty sure it is for the APCO25 digital systems. Not sure how that works or just what they're doing: maybe they're just scanning some of the analog simplex tac freqs, tower input freqs, or maybe periodic data transmissions? But I would like to try it out....

Jim