Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default First CB Purchase, Help?

I am going to be purchasing my first CB soon.

I am either getting the Uniden 510XL or the 520XL. I am not too worried about getting too far distance wise with it...just ~2-3 radius is good for me. I am getting the Lil Wil just because its the smallest I could find that you all suggested here.

My first question...how many Emergency vehicles actually use channel 9 any more? The 520 has instant channel 9, which would be nice if it was used and useful. It would be nice to know that they are coming up behind me or from what direction, road, etc.

Second question..is it better to hardwire power for a CB or just use the cig power adapter? See pics below...I have a power area right where I am putting the CB.

..which leads to my next question. How snug should the CB be? The size of the cubby hole is ~5.5" W x 2" H x 8" D. The dimensions of the 510/520 is 6 3/4" (L) x 4 1/2" (W) x 1 1/2" (H). It also states to be sure to have 1" for knobs and 1/2" for the antenna connector. I dont mind the knobs sticking out slightly. Should I just use some thick velcro or make a custom bracket? ...or stuff something in there to snug it up?

..and I am assuming since a CB antenna is set for certain frequencys I could not use it for other uses all at once..radio..GPS..etc. Correct?

Newcomer

Oh...also..
    Is it standard to have a external speaker connector? If so..is it a standard headphone 3.5mm size connector?

Speed Demon

My CB didn't come with a cig adapter. I have a Uniden PC78 ELITE.

If yours does come with it, it really doesn't matter which method you use. Just do whatever you feel comfortable with or what looks best.

I personally like to hardwire all my components.

You might be able to get 2-3 miles range with the Lil' Wil. However, the Lil' Wil being a whip antenna does not come tuned, you will have to get an SWR meter and measure it. They come longer than you need so you'll have to cut some of the antenna down.

Channel 9 is seldom used anymore now that we have cell phones.

Newcomer

Well..that would save me lik $20 there. That was the only reason I was looking into the 520 over th 510. You can buy a cigarette adapter to run the power. I wonder if I could just run the power from the lighter socket to hard wire it. ..hmmm.

I wonder if anyone in Ohio on here has a SWR for a one time use. I see them on ebay for about ~$15 or so.

Why I was wondering about the size of the adapter for the speaker....I might be able to find a way to put it as an Aux input on my stereo.

Old Timer

Default swr

RS sells SWR meters for $30 I think. I picked one up at a flea market for $5 and it works. As far as mounting your CB in the vehicle you are driving. On the passenger side, I would mount it next to your Stickshift, probably pushing the seat back as far as it would go so it doesn't hit the CB. Let us know what you come up with.

Speed Demon

"Why I was wondering about the size of the adapter for the speaker....I might be able to find a way to put it as an Aux input on my stereo."

Yes you should be able to hook up a normal 1/8'' (mini stereo plug).

I'm not sure if that CB in particular has the port though.

SWR meters are an old invention but are still necessary to get the most out of your antenna. You should be able to find a cheap one. They're well worth buying.

Newcomer

According to the manual diagrams, there is a external speaker connector on this unit.

After I read your post it made me think. I was thinking of hardwiring everything up in the cubby hole area. Now I am debating another area I previously did not think of.

The tc has a dual level center armrest storage area. The top area is on the actual arm pad that can hold a set of keys or sunglasses, etc.

The second level is actually quite deep. I think (still need to measure to double check) that the 510/520 would fit completely in the armrest storage area. Also in that area are iPod dock connectors, an Auxiliary In, and another Cig Lighter power input.

If I mount it in there it will be out of the way and hidden. It would also be easy to connect/disconnect the Aux In for the speakers at will. Also..it is easy to remove the console to parallel hard wire the power to the cig plug power. The only thing I have in there right now is iPod cable, a pen, and a small CD case that can be moved around.

Hmm...

..and still need a SWR meter.

Newcomer

Also...I know everyone recommends a seperate antenna.

After reading other posts, I was wondering what options are out there to make an "all in one" sort of antenna for AM/FM/CB. I read someone just spliced their AM/FM antenna and it works. Would this work? ...if so i would be willing to get a slightly bigger antenna that would fit in the stock antenna location as a replacement.

If not...what are other "stealth" options? Are there any? I have read also of antennas similar to cell phone antennas that mount on the glass.

I have an all glass roof so I have very little to mount an antenna. So I am looking at all suggestions.

One other thing...Midland 1001Z looks awfully a lot like the Uniden 510. Same unit or just uncanny look a likes?

Also..looking at the tuned and aligned CBs from Sparky CB Shack (google if interested). I'm assuming, again from reading around here, that it is good, correct?

Advanced Member

I'd go with the midland tune and peaked new from them with a lil wil antenna

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Newcomer

I have read about the Uniden lower end units being a special powered mic where you can only use certain mics on it.

Is the Midland one the same situation?