Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Best digital scanners to avoid speeding tickets

I read through a few threads here and found a lot of information, but they seem unclear about a few things. To start with, let's face it - analog is on its way out so it's no longer a priority. Police in my area have gone digital, and over 5 years it's likely all jurisdictions will go that way.

So, my question is what it the best priced/reliable scanner to avoid speeding tickets in a digital jurisdiction?

Speed Demon

scanners don't really help as a countermeasure.

The best scanner to date that MIGHT help against speeding tickets is the BCT15.

The BCT15 is an analog scanner however it is the newest and latest with the beartracker feature. Even though it is an analog scanner, it will still pick up digital bear warnings, you just won't be able to listen to them.

The BCD996T is the digital equivalent of the BCT15 which is the latest and greatest scanner, however for some reason they failed to include beartracker in the model.

Professional

I'm not so sure digital is going to take over like everyone exepcts. Most departments are strapped for cash and going digital will be a low priority. There is only 1 department within 25 miles of St. Louis that is digital and it's a small upper class town that was the first to get a Charger in the area too.

Good Citizen

The BCD396T has the close call feature. It will grab close by transmissions which, if you are out on the open highway, are usually LEO in origin. As well, if you can find the in car repeater frequency used by the highway force, you can grab a close call even if the LEO is not transmitting. As close to a cop detector as I can find. Its also a kick-a$$ scanner in general.

Good Citizen

Not everything is going the digital way, but when the rebanding actually takes place, and as the large push of interpolative systems gain, conventional analog will become the minority. Small conventional systems can be upgraded to digital relatively cost effective, but won't be a astro 7X with 10 channels.

About the only way I seeing it help you is if your PD uses a specific talk group for traffic cars, but that wouldn't tell you where all the officers that patrol with laser or radar are... If you know your area streets well enough and you hear an officer pulling cars over in relatively the same area you can just about bet they're doing some type of traffic enforcement there.

Professional

I've *never* received advance warning of a speed trap using a scanner. Even when they're running a fixed trap with chase cars, you usually won't gather enough information to know exactly where the trap is.

Many states are going through the process of consolidating ALL of their law enforcement agencies unto a common system. Georgia is undergoing such a transition, with the ultimate goal of bringing all city, county and state agencies under a single digital system. It obviously won't happen overnight, but look for the more urbanized areas in many states to convert to digital in the next 4-5 years.

Good Citizen

Same mostly digital situation here. The system failed big time in an emergency test last year.

Lead Foot

:shock:

Hello,

In the good old days of analog, the ISP used 42.5 (state wide) for car to car. Lots of times you could hear the airplane talking to the ground units or the ground officer doing the lidar talking to the cars on 42.5. When the plane was up during a speed trap, you could hear them a long distance off. Once heard about the trap about 2 counties away. Thats when a scanner helped a lot.

I don't know if they will be using a statewide channel for air to ground. I would think simplex would be the chose but only time will tell. IF anyone knows or finds out. Drop a email to me. I'm thinking of selling off some of my radar and getting a new Uniden digital scanner. Maybe even the remote interface for it. Then the cost of remote is a bit steep. $195 Would been nicer if they would have just made the front face come off.

Take care,

Spin

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by bart99gt
    I've *never* received advance warning of a speed trap using a scanner. Even when they're running a fixed trap with chase cars, you usually won't gather enough information to know exactly where the trap is.
    We were headed north on Sunday to visit relatives and I had my bcd396t which is programmed with the Illinois State Police Starcom21 APCO Astro 6.3 system freqs (all digital) and could hear the ISP in *3* places running LIDAR. I-64 WB 116MM, I57 NB 78MM and I-24W 4MM. When you hear them time after time, calling out locations of a stop and hear the 'tag' car it becomes pretty obvious where they are.

I could hear the 'tag' cars shooting laser and radioing speeds and car desc. to the 'chase' patrols on all 3 details at once. very active trip.

When you are dealing with a system that lets you hear all SP cars in a district, you can tell EXACTLY where they are.

Advanced Member

scanner don't help you avoid tickets. Cops don't broadcast their location

I hear the BCT8/15 work decently with HP alert in certain states

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96