Default Looking for analog, trunking scanner...new to scanners

Hey guys, I'm new to this whole scene and am interested in purchasing a handheld analog and trunking scanner. I'm not really sure what good models are or where would be a good, reliable place to buy from. Ease of use is a significant factor in my purchase since I'm new.

Speed Demon

If you are from USA than UnidenBR330T is GREAT choice!Do some research about BR330T and you'll see that this is the best choice....price/performance ratio is great..they go from 240$ up....I have European "brother" of BR330T,it's called UBC3500XLT....I think it is the best handheld ANALOG scanner.Has the same features as 396T,same hardware..difference betwen 396T and 330T is:330T is analog not digital like396T,330T has yellow display,396T has blue display,330T has"do not disturb"close call,396T doesn't.....and 330T has more sensitive reception.
    Belive me,you can't go wrong with BR330T!

Professional

I'd suggest surfing over to http://www.radioreference.com/index.php and read both the forums and also the Wiki.

Many folks find understanding trunked radios systems, and/or the newer dynamic memory model scanners from Uniden something that takes a bit of learning. If you don't understand these concepts, and want to monitor a trunked system, or buy a scanner that uses DMM, it won't be easy to use.

Vendors I would recommend include ScannerMaster, Grove Enterprises, and Scanners Unlimited(in the SF Bay area). Radio Shack sells scanners but *I* would not depend on the local store workers to advise you on which scanner to buy.

You might find someone there that knows their stuff, but given the emphasis on cell phone sales at the Shack these days, I wouldn't count on it.

I looked into the UBC3500XLT but radio reference doesn't say that it supports trunk tracking. There is supposedly some kind of hack that you can do to make it support trunk tracking, but I think that I may need to have full support for it. Other than that, the UBC3500XLT seems like the one to buy. The only reason I'm hesitant on buying the BR330T is the price and I just find it uglier than, say the 246T.

Newcomer

Radio Shack Pro-97 - wait til they go on sale for $149.
    Grab the USB programming cable from RS and the 800mhz antenna (if you're tracking an 800mhz trunking system).

Software support:
    http://www.starrsoft.com/software/win97/default.asp

Easy to read manual:
    http://myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners/97/97.html

Once you get familiar with things, pay for a subscription to radioreference and you can import all the frequencies right into the software and upload to the scanner.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_guy
    I looked into the UBC3500XLT but radio reference doesn't say that it supports trunk tracking. There is supposedly some kind of hack that you can do to make it support trunk tracking, but I think that I may need to have full support for it. Other than that, the UBC3500XLT seems like the one to buy. The only reason I'm hesitant on buying the BR330T is the price and I just find it uglier than, say the 246T.
    246T is very good mid-priced scanner,but is a step down from330...
    I never said UBC3500XLT has trunktracker feature.....this is main difference betwen BR330T and 3500.
    330 is US version,3500 is EU version..
    Ask on radioference forum about BR330T...I did when I was buying scanner,really experienced peoples there....anyway,they told me 3500
    is one of the best,or maybe the best analog handheld scanner for EU....
    never regreted the money I spent for......and when you buy scanner
    don't forget about antenna.......stock rubber duck is worthless for
    serious scanning......good wilson or diamond antenna really makes
    a huge difference!

Banned

I know you asked whats the best analog scanner.but in my opion if i was you i would save up a little more cash and get a digital scanner that will also pick up analog to.you can allways get a great deal on a used analog scanner of the net. I bought Pro2055 for $49.works great for all my analog needs not the best for all but for me its one of the best in my opion.clone of a pro97 :wink: