Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default CB radio doesn't work. just purchased it.

Hey guys, I just bought a Uniden CB radio from their site and its refurbished. It has a sticker on it saying that it did pass and whatnot.

Ok, my problem is that I am not getting any transmissions what so ever. I changed all my dials and checked the connections on my Little Willi antenna and it does nothing. My radio is absolutely quiet. I would call Uniden for help, but its Sunday and they are closed.

Any of you guys have any suggestions?

Radar Fanatic

1. Turn the squelch knob all the way down. You should be hearing some static. Then turn the squelch up, until the static disappears. Your radio is now set for sensitivity.

2. Don't know where you live, but in alot of areas, there isn't anyone using a CB. (Remember, this is 1970's technology, and is primarily used only by truckers.)

3. Make sure you're on Channel 19. This is the trucker channel. You'll almost never hear anything on any other channel.

4. Go out to a major highway that is used by trucks, turn to 19 and ask "Break one-nine, for a radio check." You're asking everyone else out there how you sound to them.

J/

Speed Demon

Never mind. I didn't have the antenna grounded. I just found out that you needed to do that heh (duh). I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks guys!

Old Timer

Default so

So how's it working Marker?

Speed Demon

It works well. I might want to buy an amp because its hard to hear some people out there on the highway.

I also found out that the DSC was on too which made it so I couldn't hear anything.

Old Timer

DSC?

Speed Demon

Dynamic Squelch Control

Speed Demon

Any of you guys use Amplifiers in the car?

Newcomer

Default Amp

Marker,
    Buying an amp will not, under most circumstances, improve your ability to receive. Most of the amps on the market only amplify the output of the radio. The best thing that you can do to improve your reception is to improve your antenna. Mounting location makes a difference as does impedance match of the antenna cable to the radio and the antenna. There are amps available that will amplify the received signal but they also ampify the noise. I hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.

Professional

An amp will only increase the amount of power that you transmit, but I might add that they are illegal. Being that they're not specifically designed for CB (usually they're modified 10 meter ham amplifiers) they have a bad habit of producing a ton of unwanted emissions that causes interference with a host of electronic devices in the area. Chances are, people will hear you from a much greater distance than you'll be able to hear them with a mobile antenna with an amplifier, so unless you're just trying to be rude by stomping over everyone else, there is little point to one.

As BigE noted, the best way to improve your receive is by getting a better antenna and mounting it properly. There are pre-amps available, but again, they do amplify noise too unless you use bandpass filters ahead of the pre-amp.