Newcomer

Default increasing performance of my BCT-7?

I recently purchased a car equipped with a uniden BCT-7 scanner. I am still getting the hang of it, but I have a few complaints. First, the speaker is not very loud. I haven't started digging behind the dash to find a hidden speaker yet, but since the unit is barely audible over some wind noise I would appreciate some recommendations on amplifying it. Second, I constantly find myself listening to converstions for about 30 seconds and then I am switched automatically, I just read up about the locking/lockout features, but I still think I might have weak reception. Right now there is half of a window mounted antenna on the windshield (just the inside part). I would prefer to use one of the devices that allow the scanner to use the radio antenna, but I don't know if they are any good. Also, if I do use the current antenna, do I have to buy a whole unit? or is there a good way to rig something up using the parts that I have now?

Lead Foot

I had the same problem with my BCT-12 initially. I went to RS and got a scanner antenna. I just sat the thing on the floor in front of my back seats and reception improved quite a bit. I eventually got tired of it being there and just mounted it directly opposite my radio antenna on the rear of the car. It improved reception dramatically. In fact it is almost too good now as the highway alert picks up cars from a very long ways away. In fact anything between a 1 and a 3 in intensity, I just ignore as it is usually miles away. There are some forum members who have used antenna adapters and like them okay so hopefully they will comment.