Newcomer

Default What antenna to buy?

I have a Uniden BCT-15 which I'll be mounting in my car, and I will probably end up getting a PC78 Elite in the near future. I'm only interested in monitoring police freqs, most of which are conventional analog systems and a few Motorola and LTR trunked systems. Can I buy a single antenna to use for both a scanner and CB radio? And can I just replace the stock antenna on my car so I don't have to do any wiring work? I never listen to the radio in my car anyway. I don't care if the antenna is huge and funny looking, I just want the best performance for under $100 that won't fall off on bumpy rides.

Newcomer

The Larsen 150/450/800 is very good at monitoring the public safety freqs, but I wouldn't use it for anything way out of band such as CB.
    Or you can check out the Austin Spectra, but that one costs alot.
    I picked up the Larsen with a magnetic mount for about 50

Newcomer

Thanks Yukon, it looks like the Austin Spectra is exactly what I am looking for. It says it has a Motorola type connector. Will this plug in to my BCT-15 or do I need to buy an adapter? Also, do you know if it comes with a mount to attach it to my car or do I have to purchase that separately?

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Glass
    Thanks Yukon, it looks like the Austin Spectra is exactly what I am looking for. It says it has a Motorola type connector. Will this plug in to my BCT-15 or do I need to buy an adapter? Also, do you know if it comes with a mount to attach it to my car or do I have to purchase that separately?
    Not sure on the BCT-15 but MOST current scanners have BNC antenna connections. You can pick up an Motorola to BNC adapter @ Rat Shack.

Edit: From Uniden:"The scanner’s BNC connector makes it easy to connect a variety of optional antennas, including an external mobile antenna or outdoor base station antenna."

Newcomer

The Motorola type connector is what the antenna uses to mount to the base, not what connects to your scanner. It is known as an NMO mount.

You would have to purchase the mount separately depending on your application, a magnet mount if you want it to be removable, a trunk lid one if you want it to be semi permanent, but not drill holes, etc. I believe

This might be against the forum rules, and if it is I'm sorry.

http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/A...nnaSpectra.htm

Down at the bottom you'll see the different mount types. The antenna mounts to a base which will have the cable that you will run to the scanner.

Newcomer

I've never checked out the Spectra line of antennas. Looks like good stuff. They do state the antenna has a "Motorola NMO" connector mount. Using the NMO antenna mount is definitely professional quality. Glad you turned us on to these. Generally speaking though, a Motorola antenna connector would indicate the end that attaches to the scanner, adapter to BNC seen below. I've been into scanners for the last 35 years so I'm just speaking as to what common terminology is. Not to argue the point as you have stated it just as Spectra has and even brought a quality product to my attention. Thanks!

MOTOROLA ANTENNA CONNECTOR TO PLUG INTO BNC JACK.

Cable Adapter from Motorola Connector to BNC Connector PLG134 PLG-134
    http://www.scannerworld.com/content/product/model/ANT22

Professional

That adapter is for the OLD style Motorola antenna connector, maybe used until the 80s in commercial radios. Some base scanners still used them until the mid to late-90s (I don't know why!). They are still commonly used for the antenna connections in automotive radios.

An NMO connection is about 3/4" in diameter. Hardly practical to adapt to BNC or PL-259.