Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scratonicity Groupie

Default RS Pro 96... Need help!

Hey, I just hit the radio shack and picked up this scanner. I have read through the manual and I have to say this is very impressive. However it is my first scanner and I know NOTHING about them. I did however enable a set of scanner freqs for my area. However there is alot of chatter with ambulances & domestic disputes I dont care about.

I am visiting radio reference & http://fordyce.org/scanboard however I mainly bought this for the weekend. I'm going to be driving from DE which is digital, to OH and pretty much the whole way is going through PA.

What are the best setting to use so I'm not bothered by chatter? I am basically only looking to pick up leo's who are scanning running radar *vascar*.

after this weekend I'll make my decision to keep it or not. it looks like there are better scanners out there its just I wanted to get one and the rat shack was the first place I coudl think of.

does it have a feature like the unidens close call?

any help guys

thanks so much!

staton

Founder of Stealthvation

Default Re: RS Pro 96... Need help!

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton
    Hey, I just hit the radio shack and picked up this scanner. I have read through the manual and I have to say this is very impressive. However it is my first scanner and I know NOTHING about them. I did however enable a set of scanner freqs for my area. However there is alot of chatter with ambulances & domestic disputes I dont care about.

I am visiting radio reference & http://fordyce.org/scanboard however I mainly bought this for the weekend. I'm going to be driving from DE which is digital, to OH and pretty much the whole way is going through PA.

What are the best setting to use so I'm not bothered by chatter? I am basically only looking to pick up leo's who are scanning running radar *vascar*.

after this weekend I'll make my decision to keep it or not. it looks like there are better scanners out there its just I wanted to get one and the rat shack was the first place I coudl think of.

does it have a feature like the unidens close call?

any help guys

thanks so much!

staton
    You have top of the line and this is the best website to get frequencies

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Advanced Member

I agree, you have the top of the line.
    Ideally, to minimize chatter you would want to scan any special "tactical" or "simplex" frequencies that you find.

I did a quick check of Pennsylvania freqs, and here's the ones that I think are the most important:

Pennsylvania State Police
    TAC 1 - 155.46
    TAC 2 - 151.49 (heard with airplane comms)
    Mobile-to-mobile repeater - 154.755

Scan these three. If you even break the squelch on one of these, I would beware of LEO's. These are likely short-range frequencies, so if you hear anything, the police might be nearby. Especially the third one "mobile repeater". Since PA still uses 150MHz radio systems with mobile repeaters, I would bet that a beartracker scanner would work in PA. The first two are likely used in special operations such as speed traps.

Also, if you are driving on interstates or other major highways, be sure to also scan CB channel 19. Listening to CB will save you from many more tickets than listening to police will.

Good luck, see you in Ohio.

Jim

Founder of Stealthvation

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    I agree, you have the top of the line.
    Ideally, to minimize chatter you would want to scan any special "tactical" or "simplex" frequencies that you find.

I did a quick check of Pennsylvania freqs, and here's the ones that I think are the most important:

Pennsylvania State Police
    TAC 1 - 155.46
    TAC 2 - 151.49 (heard with airplane comms)
    Mobile-to-mobile repeater - 154.755

Scan these three. If you even break the squelch on one of these, I would beware of LEO's. These are likely short-range frequencies, so if you hear anything, the police might be nearby. Especially the third one "mobile repeater". Since PA still uses 150MHz radio systems with mobile repeaters, I would bet that a beartracker scanner would work in PA. The first two are likely used in special operations such as speed traps.

Also, if you are driving on interstates or other major highways, be sure to also scan CB channel 19. Listening to CB will save you from many more tickets than listening to police will.

Good luck, see you in Ohio.

Jim
    Send me the same stuff for Ohio Jim

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Scratonicity Groupie

me too!!!! You are so the man Jim!

Advanced Member

OK, here's the scoop on Ohio: they have a statewide trunked system, called MARCS, and I think it is APCO25 digital. I believe that there is some kind of special scan mode that the BCT-8 has for these type of systems, but I'm not sure exactly what they are doing or what freqs they're scanning. Maybe repeater inputs or something...

However, as of early this year, they supposably still use the old system quite a bit too. So here they are:

42.560 OSP TAC 1
    42.660 OSP TAC 2
    42.470 OSP TAC 3
    154.680 OSHP Mobile repeaters

Also, maybe:

47.340 ODOT
    154.935 Inter Agency
    155.370 Inter Agency?
    155.475 Inter Agency?

Also, don't forget CB channel 19!

Jim

Scratonicity Groupie

wow, thanks so much Jim. Within 5 minutes of scanning Dover I have found that they are using a blue unmarked blazer running radar about a mile from my house.

and on down the road on 1 south they are running laser!!!

OMG, this is to addicting!

I'm flying through the manual I'm trying to learn how to block out the ambulance channels and the such!

wow!!

--staton

Founder of Stealthvation

Staton your life is over as you know it

buyradardetectors rocks!

Cheetah Rep

I'm still quite new to mine, but here's what i did for my last trip after i got it.

The bottom search button has 6 different search things. #6 is a custom one. i changed it to DPS frequencies only and added channel 19 as a priority scan. This worked well.
    You can also use the L/Out button to lockout out those other channnels.

Once i have time to setup the folders and really dial it in it will be even better.
    I also used the ATT button and turned the squelch down (up?) this way i will get short range only. which still gives up to about 30 miles of range.

I still have a lot to learn about dialing it in, but it is definitaly a cool scanner and worked well on my trip.
    Hope this helps.

That and everyone says Win96 is the software to get, to interface with the computer. Once i get a cord for this, i'm going to install that software and really dial this in.

Speed Demon

Good news, Pro-96 went on sale today!!!