Newcomer

Default Need advice from those of you who know CB's

Hi guys,

I have a basic RS 40-Channel Mini Mobile CB radio

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102653

and a basic RS Magnet Mount CB Antenna

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062087

Since I began using this setup about 4 years ago I have come to understand that it is worth its weight in gold. Because of that, I think it would be appropriate to invest some money in a more advanced system. I need something removable since I really only use it when I go through rural areas and I would like it to solve the following problems:

The magnetic antenna falls off on occasion when I am going very fast and the wind is blowing very strongly. Usually it isn't a big idea but I would prefer to avoid having to pull over and deal with it in the future as well as paint chips.

I find adjusting the squelch to be annoying. I set it properly when I start every trip but inevitably I always find that down the road static comes through in spurts and have to turn it up. Then of course there will be strange high frequency noises at some point, or people talking that cant be clearly understood until eventually the squelch is turned up so high that I can't hear any truckers talking and end up speeding past an LEO.

Would a more expensive CB help with my squelch / filtering issues? Are there more advanced systems/features available?

As for the antenna, I assume I have no other options aside from a trunk-lip mount?

What does everyone recommend?

Thanks,
    KJ

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Need advice from those of you who know CB's

Quote Originally Posted by KalJer
    Hi guys,

I have a basic RS 40-Channel Mini Mobile CB radio

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102653

and a basic RS Magnet Mount CB Antenna

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062087
    Great little CB radio. It puts out the legal 5 watts of power, so you don't really have to upgrade.

Since I began using this setup about 4 years ago I have come to understand that it is worth its weight in gold. Because of that, I think it would be appropriate to invest some money in a more advanced system. I need something removable since I really only use it when I go through rural areas and I would like it to solve the following problems:
    I've been laughed at by my friends, family and girlfriend for my CB. But I'm ticket free and drive about 50k a year. Those of us who have them know how awesome they are on highways.

The magnetic antenna falls off on occasion when I am going very fast and the wind is blowing very strongly. Usually it isn't a big idea but I would prefer to avoid having to pull over and deal with it in the future as well as paint chips.
    This seems to be your problem. Buy a Wilson Antenna (a 'Lil Wil, or a Wilson 1000) The damn magnet is so strong I figure it could withstand a hurricane. Plus it'll give you increased transmission/reception range.

I find adjusting the squelch to be annoying. I set it properly when I start every trip but inevitably I always find that down the road static comes through in spurts and have to turn it up. Then of course there will be strange high frequency noises at some point, or people talking that cant be clearly understood until eventually the squelch is turned up so high that I can't hear any truckers talking and end up speeding past an LEO.
    Welcome to the world of CB's :wink: Your experiences are very normal.

Would a more expensive CB help with my squelch / filtering issues? Are there more advanced systems/features available?

As for the antenna, I assume I have no other options aside from a trunk-lip mount?
    Don't need another CB. You do need a better antenna.

What does everyone recommend?

Thanks,
    KJ
    J/

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Need advice from those of you who know CB's

Quote Originally Posted by jerry540i
    This seems to be your problem. Buy a Wilson Antenna (a 'Lil Wil, or a Wilson 1000) The *BEEP* magnet is so strong I figure it could withstand a hurricane. Plus it'll give you increased transmission/reception range.
    J/
    10-4 :wink:

I'm very happy with my Wilson 5000 and don't think the $$$ difference btwn 1000 and 5000 is too big... also get a Wilson short-load whip, shorter than the original whip (good for some low-clearence garages) and won't lose any TX/RX range, about $20 the short load...

Radar Fanatic

yeah like said above, ditch the rs set up, go with a uniden 510XL and a Little Wilson or a Wilson 1000.

Street Lawyer

My Uniden GrantXL tweaked and peaked is still in police evidence, wasn't even in my possession when it got seized -- last time I'll ever lend a friend a CB radio of mine :/

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky225
    My Uniden GrantXL tweaked and peaked is still in police evidence, wasn't even in my possession when it got seized -- last time I'll ever lend a friend a CB radio of mine :/

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What do you mean your CB (landed to your friend) got seized :?: :?: :?:
    What happened :?:

Experienced

I know a lot about CB radios and, my friend, the first thing you've got to do is ditch that RadioShack antenna and go for a Wilson. Believe me just the Wilson Lil Wil will kick it to the ground any day of the week. However, I strongly recommend going with the Wilson 1000 antenna. The difference between it and the Lil Wil is substantial. The only notable difference between the Wilson 1000 and 5000 antennas that I am aware of is that the 5000 can handle more watts so it can be used with even bigger amplifiers. I don't see the possibility of using an amplifier that outputs more than 3000 watts, which is what the Wilson 1000 can handle, in a mobile setup. The Wilson Lil Wil can handle 300 watts, which in my opinion, is plenty in a mobile setup. That being said you should consider the length of the antenna. The Lil Wil is 3 feet long and the 1000/5000 antennas are 5 feet long. I use a Wilson 1000 trunk lip mounted antenna and I could not have made a better choice. The longer it is the better it is. That's the way CB antennas work.

You might ask why not just get the Lil Wil and a 300 watt kicker, assuming it'd be better than using the Wilson 1000 with no amplifier. For getting out, using a 300 watt amplifier and the Lil Wil would beat a bare foot (no amplifier) radio using the Wilson 1000 any day, but keep in mind when you talk about the use of a CB radio you're talking about being saved by bear reports and the farther away you can hear them the better off you are. The Wilson 1000 will receive signals from a greater distance than the Lil Wil and that is why I strongly recommend it.

However, since you are talking about a removable setup, this impacts the decision. Trunk Lip mounts are impratical for quick removal, so that's out. I am fully aware of the weak magnets on these garbage RadioShack antennas. Trust me the Lil Wil and the Wilson 1000/5000 magnets will NOT be coming off of your car, even if you are traveling at 80+ MPH. These magnets are so strong you will be amazed.

Ah, the wonders of the sometimes annoying static and interference that a CB radio can receive. I know exactly what you are talking about. Some radios are a lot worse than others. The sad part about it is if you use this same radio with a better antenna, while getting useful information A LOT farther off, you will also be inviting a lot more unwanted static and interference. Welcome to the wonderful world of radio. Judging from what you are saying, I'd say it's time to invest in a new radio as well as an antenna. You need a radio that has better "Cross-channel rejection". Many times these people you are hearing talk but cannot be understood are truckers that are VERY close to you traveling in convoys speaking to eachother on a nearby frequency. Say if you are on channel 19 and I'm on channel 20. If I am close enough to you, you will hear me even though we are on separate channels and guess what? I'm going to sound like complete garbage and be a pain in your side. This is called "Cross-channel". If we are 5 feet apart, I don't care what radio you have or how good your cross-channel rejection is, you are going to have this.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. I haven't owned that many mobile CB radios but I can tell you that the Cobra 148 GTL I had was as quiet as can be in this regard. A radio with better cross-channel rejection will also help A LOT with those high pitched sounds and other annoyances. Keep in mind you will never be able to completely eliminate them. You just won't hear garbage that isn't on your frequency from as far off as you are now.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by DeadReb245
    I know a lot about CB radios and, my friend, the first thing you've got to do is ditch that RadioShack antenna and go for a Wilson. Believe me just the Wilson Lil Wil will kick it to the ground any day of the week. However, I strongly recommend going with the Wilson 1000 antenna. The difference between it and the Lil Wil is substantial. The only notable difference between the Wilson 1000 and 5000 antennas that I am aware of is that the 5000 can handle more watts so it can be used with even bigger amplifiers. I don't see the possibility of using an amplifier that outputs more than 3000 watts, which is what the Wilson 1000 can handle, in a mobile setup. The Wilson Lil Wil can handle 300 watts, which in my opinion, is plenty in a mobile setup. That being said you should consider the length of the antenna. The Lil Wil is 3 feet long and the 1000/5000 antennas are 5 feet long. I use a Wilson 1000 trunk lip mounted antenna and I could not have made a better choice. The longer it is the better it is. That's the way CB antennas work.

You might ask why not just get the Lil Wil and a 300 watt kicker, assuming it'd be better than using the Wilson 1000 with no amplifier. For getting out, using a 300 watt amplifier and the Lil Wil would beat a bare foot (no amplifier) radio using the Wilson 1000 any day, but keep in mind when you talk about the use of a CB radio you're talking about being saved by bear reports and the farther away you can hear them the better off you are. The Wilson 1000 will receive signals from a greater distance than the Lil Wil and that is why I strongly recommend it.

However, since you are talking about a removable setup, this impacts the decision. Trunk Lip mounts are impratical for quick removal, so that's out. I am fully aware of the weak magnets on these garbage RadioShack antennas. Trust me the Lil Wil and the Wilson 1000/5000 magnets will NOT be coming off of your car, even if you are traveling at 80+ MPH. These magnets are so strong you will be amazed.

Ah, the wonders of the sometimes annoying static and interference that a CB radio can receive. I know exactly what you are talking about. Some radios are a lot worse than others. The sad part about it is if you use this same radio with a better antenna, while getting useful information A LOT farther off, you will also be inviting a lot more unwanted static and interference. Welcome to the wonderful world of radio. Judging from what you are saying, I'd say it's time to invest in a new radio as well as an antenna. You need a radio that has better "Cross-channel rejection". Many times these people you are hearing talk but cannot be understood are truckers that are VERY close to you traveling in convoys speaking to eachother on a nearby frequency. Say if you are on channel 19 and I'm on channel 20. If I am close enough to you, you will hear me even though we are on separate channels and guess what? I'm going to sound like complete garbage and be a pain in your side. This is called "Cross-channel". If we are 5 feet apart, I don't care what radio you have or how good your cross-channel rejection is, you are going to have this.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. I haven't owned that many mobile CB radios but I can tell you that the Cobra 148 GTL I had was as quiet as can be in this regard. A radio with better cross-channel rejection will also help A LOT with those high pitched sounds and other annoyances. Keep in mind you will never be able to completely eliminate them. You just won't hear garbage that isn't on your frequency from as far off as you are now.
    Very helpful info on CBs and their antennas...
    Personally, I have no complaints about the CB Radio I've been using for almost 2 years http://www.durhamradio.com/s/product...at=1694&page=1 hooked up to the cigarette lighter, with an external speaker, plus a Wilson 5000 with a Wilson short-load... so far no need for any amplifier, maybe one in the future...