Thread: CB in NY

Speed Demon

Default CB in NY

I've asked awhile ago, but now I'm ready to buy something for the Thruway.

I don't want an external antenna, since I use different cars sometimes. I want something easy and portable. I guess I would just listen to truckers call out the traps.

Is a scanner pretty useless?

Looking to spend under $150 (+/- a little).

Thanks.

Advanced Member

WEith out an external antenna you will have maybe 0.25-0.5mile range!!!! Enjoy

CBs are easily potable just get Magnet mount antenna like the Wilson Lil Wil or if you want good range get the wilson 500. purchase on ebay

And buy a Uniden 510xl tuned and peaked from cbcity.com.

In total i paid about $100 for a tuned and peaked 510xl and Wilson 500 mag mount with great range

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Speed Demon

Does the scanner come in handy on the Thruway, or just the CB? What about local driving?

Where in CNY are you?

Thanks.

Advanced Member

no scanners are pointless in my honest opinion and I no longer drive with mine anymore. I only use it when I am at home sitting on my computer at my desk

CB is very useful on the thurway...I have used it multiple times to help avoid bears and also avoid traffic jams.

As for local driving I just take my CB off. On the thruway there are truckers the people who use their radio's the most. I only put on my CB when i know i got a thruway journey ahead of me otherwise i am still protected with the V1 and Blinder M20

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Speed Demon

How many times on the Thruway have you been instant oned without warning from the CB?

Where do you run the wire that goes from the CB to the antenna?

Does that unit act as a scanner and CB, or is it one or the other?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by computersoc
    How many times on the Thruway have you been instant oned without warning from the CB?

Where do you run the wire that goes from the CB to the antenna?

Does that unit act as a scanner and CB, or is it one or the other?
    I have had plenty of encounters where i never knew the cop was there until my detector went off but hell I utilize smart speeding with a rabbit and don't get caught.

Also with driving the thruway multiple times for about 4 years two and from school i now know around what area they usually are and i slow myself down.

The wire for my antenna in my car goes in the trunk and I run it all the way up to the radio through the passthrough in the rear arm rest to the radio which i jam in between the passenger seat and front arm rest. I then plug the radio into my cigerette lighter.

Some people argue that you can pick up CB transmission with a good antenna however being able to transmit and ask the truckers if there is a way around traffic jams is one reason to transmit. Also if you tell them if there is a bear on their side they quite possibly will tell you what it looking at you.

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Speed Demon

I want a scanner for fun too... does something like this come with CB?
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...ec&dcaid=15890

Why do some people run digital and analog scanners?

What is the TrunkTracker system?

What scanner can I use to pick up NYS Troopers if they talk on their radio?

What about this?
    http://www.buy.com/prod/uniden-bc-24.../90141747.html

Is that close call feature useful on some of them? How does it work? what's the cheapest one with it?

Is a handheld scanner better?

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by computersoc
    I want a scanner for fun too...

A)does something like this come with CB?
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...ec&dcaid=15890

B)Why do some people run digital and analog scanners?

C)What is the TrunkTracker system?

D)What scanner can I use to pick up NYS Troopers if they talk on their radio?

E)What about this?
    http://www.buy.com/prod/uniden-bc-24.../90141747.html

F)Is that close call feature useful on some of them? How does it work? what's the cheapest one with it?

G)Is a handheld scanner better?
    I've added letters to your questions, and I'll try to answer a few of them.

A) Don't know.

B) Don't know.

C) TrunkTracker is basically a system for tracking digital replies on related (but different) channels.

D) Almost any scanner will work in NY (analog fine, for now), but keep in mind that it's probably ILLEGAL to use a public-safety band scanner in a moving vehicle in NY unless you have an FCC license (an amateur HAM license should be fine, but keep a copy in your wallet).

E) Don't know.

F) I like the Close Call feature. I find it most useful for determining which frequencies are emitted by unknown antennas within about 50' of my location. Unfortunately, unless I'm using it incorrectly, it seems to be useless for simply detecting LEOs (e.g., it's NOT a "Bear Tracker" by any means).

G) Depends. Handhelds are more portable but may have fewer features or controls. Nowadays, I think the performance of the units themselves is about the same. The antennas are another story.

crazyvolvorob, Ive got a couple of questions for you. I thought Id PM you but this way the information is public. You might be the biggest wealth of NYS information on the forum...maybe you should write a FAQ

Anyway, I am making frequent upstate trips and my main routes of travel with be the palisades and the thruway. I see that you didnt get much use from the scanner, so Im looking at a CB. How is trucker coverage at night? Currently Im using a V1, looking at a diode based jammer, the new Veil and photocopied plates - and of course, my eyes. Hopefully Ill be able to make good time up north.

I understand the most common guns to be ultralyte 125, plIII, and an occasional stalker?

Thanks a lot in advance rob, youre the best

P.S. Have you been on RT.106 through Harriman State Park? Fun little thing - its like NYS' own dragons tail..

Yoda of Radar

/\ /\ /\ /\

A good CB on the thruway is extremely effective, even at night. (With that said they are much more effective during the day)---Namely because LEO's are harder to see, and there are less truckers out there (But I have had a fair amount of bears called out during night-time hours). I often travel 170Miles on the thruway (each way)... Between CNY and the Penn. State border.

It is the best countermeasure you can buy for under $150.